Warning: Orchard Bank Preapproval a Hard Pull

tag
readyfireaim
New Contributor

Re: Warning: Orchard Bank Preapproval a Hard Pull

@scottwagnon wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Several people have complained recently that the HSBC/Orchard "pre~approval" site is doing hard pulls, but the website they are using is page 1 of a credit card application.    Anytime you are filling in an application there is a potential that they are going to pull your credit, especially if you are entering a SSN and mother's maiden name and other personal info like that.

While normally I might agree that you are entering a lot of information you should at least think it's possible but it's ALWAYS been this long application for pre-approval with Orchard, Best Buy MC (back when) and it always stated this is just a pre-approval and will not impact your credit if you don't apply for offer...

please note i am NOT speaking of this site https://www.partnercardapply.com/start/hsbccreditcard a backdoor application which makes it somewhat clear that it is in fact an application and not a preapproval.

this is the orchard site that has allowed in the past to see if you prequalify for one of their cards which has always resulted in a soft pull. will now that capone has this, they are hardpulling eq only just for you to see if you qualify for any of the orchard card.

yes, webhopper is correct. unfortunately, now it is no longer safe to do this. thanks alot capone! i am disputing this, i hope i get lucky, but i doubt i will.

Exact same thing happened to me. I wish would have seen this thread sooner. I disputed with EQ online as well.

Starting Scores: EQ 697 (4/3/12) / TU 683 (4/3/12) / EX FICO 643 (3/16/12)
Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Baddies: One 30 Day Late - Installment Loan (10/2011)
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Goal Score: 760+
Message 11 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Readyfireaim,
What did EQ say? I called HSBC to request a CLI on the 28th of April and was told by a sup that it was a SP and it wound up being a HP on my EQ report and I called HSBC to dispute it and they asked me to fax proof of the HP to them so they could investigate. I'm still waiting to hear back. But I have no faith in HSBC at this point.

So I'm curious about what you did, and what was the outcome thus far?

Thanks~
Message 12 of 41
Link2k
Valued Member

@pizzadude wrote:

Several people have complained recently that the HSBC/Orchard "pre~approval" site is doing hard pulls, but the website they are using is page 1 of a credit card application.    Anytime you are filling in an application there is a potential that they are going to pull your credit, especially if you are entering a SSN and mother's maiden name and other personal info like that.

http://www.landing.orchardbank.com/OB086?media=O5IS102AAX0806000639HPHHX&WT.ac=CRS_IM000639

It clearly states here as step number 2 you can review your card offer and then appply. I'm not sure how anyone would take that to mean you would get a hard pull first. Also this same site was doing soft pulls for the EXACT same application form 2 weeks ago.

By the way your mothers maiden name has nothing to do with it being more likely to be a credit pull.

Message 13 of 41
learnin113
Established Contributor

I believe the new HP situation has something to do with the Crap1 takeover.   And we all know how much Crap1 looooove to pull credit reports.  You're kinda lucky they didn't pull all 3! 

Message 14 of 41
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

My point is only that since you are filling out a credit card application the creditor ( HSBC, Cap1, whoever...) has permissable purpose to access your credit report.    And I agree that probably the switchover to Cap1 has changed things behind the scenes.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 15 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

And now I have ANOTHER one from Capital One/Best Buy And I canceled the card the day after getting it. Never applied for another, yet I have an inquiry for one on 4/29/12... Oh hell no, these people are nuts. I just completed an online dispute at Equifax.com, this is unacceptable.
Message 16 of 41
readyfireaim
New Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

My point is only that since you are filling out a credit card application the creditor ( HSBC, Cap1, whoever...) has permissable purpose to access your credit report.    And I agree that probably the switchover to Cap1 has changed things behind the scenes.

RIght now the website is saying one thing... and doing the exact opposite.

Complete our secure online form and select the Submit button. We'll show you the card you're more likely to be approved for, in as little as 30 seconds, without affecting your credit score!

Is this sticky-worthy in the forum? At least until they removed the false claim or stop hard pulling our credit reports. If I had seen this post, I wouldn't have filled out the supposedly soft pull page. Let's save everyone else the same headache that a few of us have already encountered.

Current Scores: EX FICO 751 (7/25/12 Bellco CU) / EQ 735 (8/1/12) / TU 734 (8/1/12) /
Cards:Costco AMEX $19500, Bellco Platinum Visa $10000, Discover More $9000, Chase Southwest Premier $5000, Delta Gold AMEX $2000, Merrick Bank Visa $1850, Orchard Bank Secured $500, ZYNC
Message 17 of 41
readyfireaim
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Readyfireaim,
What did EQ say? I called HSBC to request a CLI on the 28th of April and was told by a sup that it was a SP and it wound up being a HP on my EQ report and I called HSBC to dispute it and they asked me to fax proof of the HP to them so they could investigate. I'm still waiting to hear back. But I have no faith in HSBC at this point.

So I'm curious about what you did, and what was the outcome thus far?

Thanks~

Nothing from Equifax yet, I just did the dispute about an hour ago. I'll be sure to keep you posted though. This sucks!

Message 18 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Readyaimfire,

I just did the same thing. This is just bananas! Absolutely frustrating.
Message 19 of 41
Poorfico24
New Contributor

same thing happened to me Smiley Sad and i had 0 inquiries so I took a 16 pt hit Smiley Sad What is the best way to get it removed?

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.