Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was happy with Chase until...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was happy with Chase until...

@The_Gazelle12 wrote:
@longtimelurker yep...a whopping 25% -____- ...all because we were putting everything through the CSP for the bonus points.

Also If it was processed as a money order it won't count towards your $4000 spend for the bonus points. So make sure that you don't calculate that spend when trying to reach the bonus spend.

@Anonymous wrote:50,000 Bonus Points
("Purchases" do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable.)

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/offer-details.htm

Message 21 of 31
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, the OP didn't have a prior indication of that.

I've come across suggestions to limit the cash advance limit to zero (or $1, whatever's the lowest limit possible) so that such transactions get blocked from step 0.

But then again some transactions start off as cash advance (when pending) and post as a regular cc transaction. So those may get blocked too.

Trade offs... 

OP, Chase is known to be amenable to waiving off interest, if you plead. It'll not be a huge amount anyway since you PIF. Let them know that it was unknown to you that this will be a cash advance (to the rep on the phone) and you may get it waived (one time thing).

Message 22 of 31
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Also, you may want to change your title to 

"was happy with our utility provider until ..." 

Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strogen wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@The_Gazelle12 wrote:
So, according to the rep, it was because my authorized user's utility company ran the transaction as a cash transaction...I Paid my utilities a week before. her and it went through without a hitch. Out freaking standing city of Tallahassee smh

It's many utility companies. Not sure why they just can't charge your card and bite the fee like everyone else does. 

National Grid where I live (NY) is the type of company that likes to go through Western Union to process cards, and they're the only ones around here that do that. 

Duke energy does this garbage as well here in the NC/SC area. 

They have to make it an ordeal with Western Union... I just pay via bank transfer but I really dont know why they cant just accept  credit cards. Its not like they are hurting for money. I know the electric rate is highly regulated because it is a monopoly but I guess some monopolistic things are just unavoidable. 

FPL in South Florida does the same thing.

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@The_Gazelle12 wrote:
@longtimelurker yep...a whopping 25% -____- ...all because we were putting everything through the CSP for the bonus points.

I wonder if this is a Chase thing. I haved used both Discover & Cap 1 to pay utility bills via Western Union, in the past, and they were charged as regular purchases. 

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

Unfortunately, the OP didn't have a prior indication of that.

I've come across suggestions to limit the cash advance limit to zero (or $1, whatever's the lowest limit possible) so that such transactions get blocked from step 0.

But then again some transactions start off as cash advance (when pending) and post as a regular cc transaction. So those may get blocked too.

Trade offs... 

OP, Chase is known to be amenable to waiving off interest, if you plead. It'll not be a huge amount anyway since you PIF. Let them know that it was unknown to you that this will be a cash advance (to the rep on the phone) and you may get it waived (one time thing).

Good suggestions Ghoshida.

Message 26 of 31
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That is a good suggestion worth trying, assuming they would be understanding.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I doubt that.

Has anyone ever been happy with their utility provider?

Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 31
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I doubt that.

Has anyone ever been happy with their utility provider?

Smiley Wink

I am... The GF pays those, lol

Message 29 of 31
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Ghoshida wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Hilarious!!!!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.