cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was there a specific year that banks (not CUs) stopped issuing fixed-rate offers en masse?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Was there a specific year that banks (not CUs) stopped issuing fixed-rate offers en masse?

Was there a specific year that the big banks (also not counting and excluding CUs here) stopped issuing fixed-rate credit card offers, en masse?  I am aware that even today the banks may still issue a relatively rare fixed-rate offer on an individual basis to certain people with excellent/super-prime credit scores and/or high net worth, but in my question, I am talking about the last known year that the banks stopped sending widespread fixed-rate card offers to large groups of people, either by mail or online?

I would imagine that a significant number of fixed-rate offers may have obviously stopped and dried up by 2008-2009 and thereafter, due to the preparations for and enactment of CARD Act alone, but as a data point of sorts, I know that I personally received a bank-based, fixed-rate mail offer app as late as the latter part of 2007, which I accepted and was approved for.  Would this seem to indicate that mass-distribution fixed rate card offers from the banks may have stopped sometime around the timeframe of 2007-2008?  Or possibly later?  Just curious...

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was there a specific year that banks (not CUs) stopped issuing fixed-rate offers en masse?

My Capital One card I got in 2004 is fixed rate. Haven't seen many since then.

Message 2 of 4
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Was there a specific year that banks (not CUs) stopped issuing fixed-rate offers en masse?

Bumping the thread, just in case there was possibly anyone else who might want to chime in and discuss more?  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
stupac

Capital One changed most accounts to variable in late 2007.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.