cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was there ever a Discover card with 5% cash back on all purchases?

tag
AsherDinah

Was there ever a Discover card with 5% cash back on all purchases?

A friend of mine bragged that he got his Discover card 'back in the day' when they issued 5% cash back credit cards that applied to all purchases, and so he grandfathered into it for life. He goes on to say Discover has tried to get him to move onto another credit card of theirs but he never accepts.

Needless to say I was in disbelief, this couldn't be the same Discover company that gave me a measly $1500 limit while all other issuers hand out $25,000. Though I'm inclined to believe him because grandfathering may be possible if  lawyers did not include 'a way out' into terms and conditions letter.

Did such a Discover card ever exist? 5% back on all purchases.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Was there ever a Discover card with 5% cash back on all purchases?

@AsherDinah wrote:

A friend of mine bragged that he got his Discover card 'back in the day' when they issued 5% cash back credit cards that applied to all purchases, and so he grandfathered into it for life. He goes on to say Discover has tried to get him to move onto another credit card of theirs but he never accepts.

Needless to say I was in disbelief, this couldn't be the same Discover company that gave me a measly $1500 limit while all other issuers hand out $25,000. Though I'm inclined to believe him because grandfathering may be possible if  lawyers did not include 'a way out' into terms and conditions letter.

Back in the day it was a zero, that turned into a 1% card. Rainbow colored. Novus. Had it.

Message 2 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@AsherDinah wrote:

Back in the day it was a zero, that turned into a 1% card. Rainbow colored. Novus. Had it.

Don't know if anyone has offered a 5% on everything for ever (not clear how to make money!)  The old Chase AARP card was 5% on everything, but just for 6 months, and lost a lot of money on that.

Message 3 of 13
vwhirlwind
Established Member

In the mid 80s it was launched by Sears and it did have 5% cash back.  It also had an insane 1980s interest rate (like 24%), so 5% cash back was just bringing it back to a reasonable level (for that era).

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

But if you PIF then it doesn't matter.
Message 5 of 13
vwhirlwind
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
But if you PIF then it doesn't matter.

Yes.  And it was the old black card with the orange/red logo.  Sears was still a powerhouse then, too!

Message 6 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

https://www.firstbankcard.com/onb/site/personal/products/discover/discover_card.fhtml

Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 13
AsherDinah

That Old National Bank card sounds too good to be real, so I clicked on the Summary and Terms fine print and indeed the webpage broke down lol

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AsherDinah wrote:

That Old National Bank card sounds too good to be real, so I clicked on the Summary and Terms fine print and indeed the webpage broke down lol

5% cashback on all antique gramophones.

Message 9 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AsherDinah wrote:

5% cashback on all antique gramophones.

lmao

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.