Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was this a good idea?

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Was this a good idea?

Hi everyone,

So about a month ago, I had started a thread relating to me being a college student looking to build my credit.  So far so good, it looks like I was approved for a Citi Forward card, and I've moved my primary savings and checking to Citibank for the high yield on their Ultimate Savings.  I've kept my Bank of America accounts active as well.  Finally, I decided to open a small checking account with chase to have an association, as I hear that helps when applying for credit (which I plan to do with them down the road).

So does anyone have any thoughts on that?

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Re: Was this a good idea?

Doing good so far. 

Message 2 of 6
sonson
Regular Contributor

its great thats you want to establish check/savings accounts with the banks you wish to get a CC with. but i would hold off on opening more accounts with other bank institutions. just so you can keep track of everything. 3 should be way more than enough. use their debits cards once in awhile for the banks you don't use often and dont  keep most of your funds. just so its showing acitivity. sooner down the road you will get promotions on applying for their bank CC. also, usually when you come in for a deposit with the teller, and they pull up your account, if they see that you have a good standing with them, they will usually recommend applying for their CC. kinda a open invitation. good luck

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Just something to think about...In the future, you might be better off going with a credit union rather than another bank account.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bung's right. Credit unions are great, they're more generous with CLs than regular banks are Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
voidman
Established Contributor

I have chase cards with total CL of $10,000 and I don't have a bank account with them. Having a account with them *might* help but it is really not necessary.

What I have right now is checking/saving with WF and online account with discover. Money at discover is parked to earn higher interest while WF account is for emergency access to cash. Putting it in different banks and managing them is just a headache.

-void
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.