Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to check Citi Black List?

tag
nj23
Regular Contributor

Way to check Citi Black List?

I think I might have had a small unpaid charge off that fell off a couple years ago from when I was a young financial delinquent, and although I don't recall the details, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a way to check if I'm on their black list without doing a HP.  Not that any Citi card is overwhelmingly alluring at this moment, but I am wondering.  I definitely had a Citi card when I was 18/19, and that account definitely isn't on my credit report(s), so it must have been negative.  

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Way to check Citi Black List?

@nj23 wrote:

I think I might have had a small unpaid charge off that fell off a couple years ago from when I was a young financial delinquent, and although I don't recall the details, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a way to check if I'm on their black list without doing a HP.  Not that any Citi card is overwhelmingly alluring at this moment, but I am wondering.  I definitely had a Citi card when I was 18/19, and that account definitely isn't on my credit report(s), so it must have been negative.  

If you're legitimately on the blacklist, when you apply, they won't even pull a report. You'll automatically get declined due to internal files, so you won't have to worry about a HP!

However, just make sure the rest of your credit file is up to par before apping. They may have forgotten the charge off, but they won't forgive you for more recent negatives!

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@nj23 wrote:

If you're legitimately on the blacklist, when you apply, they won't even pull a report. You'll automatically get declined due to internal files, so you won't have to worry about a HP!

However, just make sure the rest of your credit file is up to par before apping. They may have forgotten the charge off, but they won't forgive you for more recent negatives!

Not true, I apped Nov 2013, was HP on EX, EQ held up for FA on my EQ, settled that prob, then was denied for IIB them in 1996, I reconned it all the way to the EO, no go, "Pay off your old accounts if you want a new one:, all this with a score of 780+ on both bureaus. I dont pay accounts IIB...

Message 3 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Like 25 years ago I think I burned them.  I app'd for a card last year and they asked for income verification, which I never gave them, it was too much hassle.  I get offers from them and occasionally get prequalified for cards from them on their website and prequals in the mail.  I also got a Home Depot card from them and while it is different in some respects from getting a true Citi card, it does appear they are forgiving.  However, one might suggest that the reason I got the income verification from them was because of the issue 25 years ago......    Since I have/had enough cards at the time it was no biggie to ignore the income request.  They only have one card I want anyway and that is the Dividend card, but I can certainly wait until next year to even try again.  I figure at that point I will be in their system anyway with the Home Depot card.  I had applied before for gas cards they service a few years ago and simply got denied for what my reports looked like, no indication then of being blacklisted.  However, once again, that could be due to the concept of them being not truly Citi cards but cobranded and they might have different policies for that.  Either way, I will simply be waiting until next year for my next attempt with them at the Dividend card, unless I get too itchy.  However, I have so far kept that itch in check.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 5
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

Like 25 years ago I think I burned them.  I app'd for a card last year and they asked for income verification, which I never gave them, it was too much hassle.  I get offers from them and occasionally get prequalified for cards from them on their website and prequals in the mail.  I also got a Home Depot card from them and while it is different in some respects from getting a true Citi card, it does appear they are forgiving.  However, one might suggest that the reason I got the income verification from them was because of the issue 25 years ago......    Since I have/had enough cards at the time it was no biggie to ignore the income request.  They only have one card I want anyway and that is the Dividend card, but I can certainly wait until next year to even try again.  I figure at that point I will be in their system anyway with the Home Depot card.  I had applied before for gas cards they service a few years ago and simply got denied for what my reports looked like, no indication then of being blacklisted.  However, once again, that could be due to the concept of them being not truly Citi cards but cobranded and they might have different policies for that.  Either way, I will simply be waiting until next year for my next attempt with them at the Dividend card, unless I get too itchy.  However, I have so far kept that itch in check.

Wow.....so you think that Citi's Blacklist doesn't apply to their branded cards like Sear's or Home Depot etc?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.