Did you mean: 

We don't take American Express...

tag
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just an FYI

@Anonymous wrote:

@FicoScore626 wrote:

One of the most amazing things I saw during my youth was a store that ONLY accepted American Express and did NOT accept Visa or Mastercard. That just blew my mind.

Sounds like Costco Smiley Wink.

Actually it was a store in Florida that sold music equipment (instruments).

So Costco is like that too? Just another reason among my list of reasons to hate Costco. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FicoScore626 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FicoScore626 wrote:

One of the most amazing things I saw during my youth was a store that ONLY accepted American Express and did NOT accept Visa or Mastercard. That just blew my mind.

Sounds like Costco Smiley Wink.

Actually it was a store in Florida that sold music equipment (instruments).

So Costco is like that too? Just another reason among my list of reasons to hate Costco. Smiley Wink

Well, you can pay with debit cards in the store or get their store card, if you don't have an Amex credit card. Online, they accept everything.

Message 22 of 30
tobey
Contributor

Didn't know that about Costco. What's the reason for that?

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

A deal they cut, maybe?

Seems like Sam's Club used to have something similar. They only took Discover, or MC, or something whacko.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 30
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

Re: We don't take American Express...

I haven't heard that "We don't take AmEx" for a while, either.  I stopped charging very much on that card 1-2 years ago when I realized they were reporting my largest balance (averaged over some secret interval they won't disclose) as my CL, so by now it must be really low, asymptotically zero.  Actually, since I had heard they charge higher merchant fees than Visa or MC, I tend to pull that card out mainly in stores where I've been treated in a condescending or insulting way by the sales staff !

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 30
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Duke-of-Earl wrote:

I stopped charging very much on that card 1-2 years ago when I realized they were reporting my largest balance (averaged over some secret interval they won't disclose) as my CL, so by now it must be really low, asymptotically zero.  

The "average highest balance" that Amex has been formulating and reporting to the CRAs is ridiculous. My highest balance should be well over 12K, now its not even a fourth of that. 

We don't take American Express, No, I don't use my American Express Platinum card much...Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 30
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

A deal they cut, maybe?

Seems like Sam's Club used to have something similar. They only took Discover, or MC, or something whacko.

They still do. Love my membership, but I wish I had more options. They only accept Discover and MC and debit. Imagine my surprise when I could not use a Visa.

Message 27 of 30
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Ive had AMEX refused many times, even by a few places that actually accept it but would graciously prefer another form of payment. In the end, it doesn't matter much to me. I just use another card. I have quite a few that are getting good rewards right now. My Virgin America card through Barclays just earned me a free flight from  San Diego to Seattle in fact. Smiley Happy

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 28 of 30
-RED
Regular Contributor

I don't blame them...

They are more than overrated, customer service is horrible, and their management style is completely condescending!

-Customer satisfaction is worthless, Customer loyalty is priceless!

-800 or Bust...!
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am quite sure that the AMEX only relationship at COSTCO is mutually beneficial for both parties. I'm sure Costco pays very low merchant fees and AMEX likes the COSTCO customer referral base.

BTW I have a local Deep discounter called Marcs that only accepts Discover.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.