Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We need your help before we send documents

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

We need your help before we send documents

I'll make this brief. My wife is new to this country and recieved her social security number about a year ago. We contacted Equifax about 2 weeks ago because after trying to get her an Orchard secured and adding her to to my account failed because she has no credit file here. They told her to mail a copy of her social security card and driver's license to establish her file. I added her as an Authorized user to my BofA account about 2 weeks ago in hopes of creating her a file.

My question is simple. Should we send the information to Equifax or should we wait for BofA to report to establish her file? Since it seems we would have to send the info. to each of the 3 reporting agencies wouldn't her being added as an authorized user accomplish the same thing because our fear is that since they have no record of her having a credit file BofA reporting will not be added. Also BofA did ask for her social security number when she was added and this account is over a year old so it should help her. Please help this is driving us crazy.

Message Edited by RichRaven on 06-27-2008 11:40 PM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: We need your help before we send documents

As what i know even if you sent your documents, that`ll be as identity proof. she won`t have a credit report or score before 6 month since opened the first credit card. That mean when BoA starts sending her info to the 3 Credit agency, you`ll still have to wait 6 month.

about secured card, i would prefer to go to BoA and try to get the 99/500 secured card. You`ll have to apply for A Card first. they `ll help you without much paper work.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you are in the same situation I was in a year ago.  My wife has also just come to America about 13 months ago.  Once we got her SSN card, we applied and she was able to get a Capital One Card with a small CL $500 (Orchard turned her down as well).  I believe Capital One has a program for people who just immigrated to the U.S.
I also added her as a AU on my credit card, and since then she gets CC offers left and right.

Her credit score is already around 720 and she now has a Gold Amex, Wamu card, Citi, and a Chase all in her name alone.  She was able to get these cards about 6 months after her first card. We never had to send any information in.  I do believe it takes about 3 months after she is added as a AU or is able to get her own TL before she can view a credit score.

Hope this helps
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It helps a lot..So how can we tell if she's established her file...Should we call Equifax again or call BofA?

Message Edited by RichRaven on 06-28-2008 12:01 AM
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We found by just checking myfico, or places like truecredit.   At first it said no file but after 3 months or so a score finally showed up.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well we just faxed the documents to Equifax and Transunion today in hopes of getting my wife into the credit ranks. I added her as an au to my BofA card but they have yet to report after 1 1/2 months. My wife had no prior history before we tried adding her and sending docs to the agencies. Does anyone have an explanation why BofA hasn't shown on her reports and do you think us sending docs to them will help with this? I at least thought by adding her to my cc it would create her file. Please give us advice because this is very frustrating.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help
Message 7 of 12
msheresy
Regular Contributor

Even after you ad her as an AU, it will take six months of reporting the card for her to have a credit file.  That was already posted above.  I thought that all of your questions were answered.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account has been reporting for about a year so it has history thus it should report the same on her's which it isn't even reporting at all.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anyone that could answer my previous post question?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.