cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're all WAY too paranoid about AmEx...

tag
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: We're all WAY too paranoid about AmEx...

How do you think your car/home insurance rates are figured? If you live in a zip code that is associated with higher crime, you pay more. He'll, my parents lived in their home for22 years with no claim, had a huge ice storm, put in a claim for a new roof, then got cancelled! My point is, what Amex is doing or may do is not unique to other credit providers.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 11 of 31
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@dharalex wrote:
How do you think your car/home insurance rates are figured? If you live in a zip code that is associated with higher crime, you pay more. He'll, my parents lived in their home for22 years with no claim, had a huge ice storm, put in a claim for a new roof, then got cancelled! My point is, what Amex is doing or may do is not unique to other credit providers.

FWIW, People tend to be a little ignorant about stuff like that.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 12 of 31
n777ua
Established Contributor

I think he pretty much made Amex's point; talking about "folding" his business and trying not to file bankruptcy...doesn't sound like a good risk to me.

@sandsanta wrote:

For reference:

A letter sent to Gilleland by American Express, one of the nation’s largest credit-card issuers, includes these reasons why the spending limit on his Platinum Card was reduced:

• “Our credit experience with customers who have made purchases at establishments where you have recently used your card.”
  • “Our analysis of the credit risk associated with customers who have residential loans from the creditor(s) indicated in your credit report.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/amex-rates-credit-risk-where-y...

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 13 of 31
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

I think some people on this board are a little too paranoid in general about credit cards being CLD'd, closed, FR'd, etc. Even with the instances of articles being run on this topic, exactly what percentage of overall cardholders do these instances comprise...0.5%? less?

In addition, suppose one of those things did happen to befall you. Is it really worth getting your pants in a bunch and stressing endlessly about?

Be honest on your CC apps...try to keep your util as low as possible and if you have to run it up one month, make payments on time (extra, if possible), and pay off the balances ASAP. I have been at nearly every point of the credit spectrum for the better part of three decades...and following this general rule, I have NEVER been closed, CLD'd or FR'd.

Just my experience...disclaimer: YMMV Smiley Wink

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 14 of 31
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

I think some people on this board are a little too paranoid in general about credit cards being CLD'd, closed, FR'd, etc. Even with the instances of articles being run on this topic, exactly what percentage of overall cardholders do these instances comprise...0.5%? less?

In addition, suppose one of those things did happen to befall you. Is it really worth getting your pants in a bunch and stressing endlessly about?

Be honest on your CC apps...try to keep your util as low as possible and if you have to run it up one month, make payments on time (extra, if possible), and pay off the balances ASAP. I have been at nearly every point of the credit spectrum for the better part of three decades...and following this general rule, I have NEVER been closed, CLD'd or FR'd.

Just my experience...disclaimer: YMMV Smiley Wink

A part of the problem is our relying on credit too much. I'm not just writing about financial reasons. Smiley Happy

My Amex being closed would be annoying but life would go on.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 15 of 31
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I can not bring myself to the point of paranoia over an AMEX FR. I love AMEX, but I do think their FRs are intrusive and creates a problem of convenience. On the other hand, if I am picked, I will comply because I don't have a thing to hide. If you don't comply, the only thing you loose is your AMEX account. I just think if you don't have anything to hide-why would you choose to let your AMEX close? Personal opinion here (only).

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 16 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sandsanta wrote:

For reference:

A letter sent to Gilleland by American Express, one of the nation’s largest credit-card issuers, includes these reasons why the spending limit on his Platinum Card was reduced:

• “Our credit experience with customers who have made purchases at establishments where you have recently used your card.”
  • “Our analysis of the credit risk associated with customers who have residential loans from the creditor(s) indicated in your credit report.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/amex-rates-credit-risk-where-y...

I don't have a dog in this hunt because I don't have an Amex card but I wanted to point out that the article you linked to is over 3 years old.

In the credit world there can be huge changes in that amount of time.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 31
clocktick
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today, I noticed a few pending charges from a gas station that I've never been to.  They were pending, but I thought I'd call AmEx and let them know that something was up.  "Don't worry," they told me.  "We have excellent fraud detection systems."  The rep made a comment on my account to placate me, then told me not to worry.

For kicks, I checked an hour later and a whole slew of pending charges I didn't make and immediately called AmEx.  I told them that I didn't care to wait to see if their fraud detection systems picked up on it and to immediately cancel my card and please issue me a new number.  This rep complied and apologized that the first rep didn't listen to me.

I've seen so much on these boards about how if you buy a burrito at Taco Bell (especially as your first transaction with them), you're going to get instantly F/Red and AmEx is going to move in to a house across the street to spy on you with binoculars.  But clearly, AmEx isn't paying the attention we think they are.

1. I've been an AmEx customer for a very long time and I've never once been to the gas station where the first charges were made.

2. I've set foot in a Wal-Mart once in my life and it was as a teenager and I didn't buy anything with an AmEx card, but AmEx approved a several hundred dollar transaction there today.

3. Ditto for the third store-- another discount store.  (I don't mean to sound haughty, my point is that this is totally out of character for my normal spending.)

4. ...because all of those places are at least 500 miles from where I live, where...

5. ...I used the card this morning to buy gum.

So to review, large transactions were made 500 miles away in stores I've never shopped in while I was using my card near my home AFTER I called them and reported suspected fraud.

The second rep was very polite and offered to overnight a replacement card and assured me I wouldn't be held liable for these fraudulent charges, so I'm not sweating it and I do appreciate how helpful she was.  But my point is that these magical, draconian algorithms that are rumored to be in place clearly...aren't.

If AmEx didn't think anything was up when someone was getting three fillups and buying toilet paper at WalMart 500 miles away from me while I was buying gum with the same card, I really don't think they give a four-letter word if you're using your card to buy a Happy Meal.

I don't see what your personal story has to do with being FR.  I see how you're relating it, but I disagree.  Amex is a card where you do not have to let them know you're traveling.  I don't find it uncommon to, at times, go to a gas station you've never been to before.  That's what people do when they travel.  In your situation, I'd be more worried with trying to figure how someone got your number in the first place.  I don't know what the first rep didn't listen to you about?  Amex sides with you against fraudulent charges.

I do agree with you about the FR paranoia.  Heck, I think some people stress out too much about inquiries.  I read much more good about Amex verus bad (including their credit card reviews).  You can read about a negative story anywhere and just change the bank names - BOA, Chase, Citi, etc.  Someone has had a negative experience with them all.  Everyone has their own personal stories. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 19 of 31
jla84
Regular Contributor

I refuse to get paranoid about AmEx, although if I stop at McDonald's for coffee I usually use my Capital One Smiley Wink.

I have noticed that in the 1 or 2 months that I've had my Zync, I've used it most at Duane Reade (interestingly, it comes up as Walgreens when it's pending and then shows Duane Reade after the charge has posted), so I wonder what they're thinking about me. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.