Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weaseled my way into USAA?

tag
shark268
Contributor

Weaseled my way into USAA?

So in december I decided to go after a USAA account, not know much about their eligibility I was shut down pretty fast from their main website. It would not let me create an account with them. As I am doing research online after this I see that they shut it down the non-military recently. I click a few random links to USAA on blogs and end up being able to create an account with them. I  was given a membership number, login, etc. The only problem is that when I logged in I could only open investment accounts, whenever I tried for banking, CC, or loans it shut me down and said I was not eligible. 

Well tonight I get bored, go on there, and it allows me to create checking and savings accounts, which I promtly do. I also checked CC and loan applications and I'm now able to apply! Smiley Happy I don't know if this is a temporary glitch or what. If it is temporary maybe it will block CC/loans later even though it allowed me to create bank accounts? I also checked auto insurance and it will NOT allow me to get insurance with them, bummer. 

Anyone have any experience with how their limited accounts work or having such a limited account it would only allow investments then upgraded to banking/CC/loans?

TLDR: somehow weaseled my way into a USAA account even after it was shut off to non-military!? or am I missing something? 

edit: and yes, I will apply for a CC once I am out of the garden, assuming I am eligible then. 

4/2013 first credit ever. Eq Fico 749, discover TU fico 777

NFCU NavChek: 15k // NFCU CashRewards 14k // Sportsman's Guide Visa 9k // CSP 7.5k // CU LOC 7.5k // Amex BCE 6k (1987) // Total Rewards 5.5k // BarclayCard Ring 5k // Amex ED 4.5k (1987) // Commerce Bank 4k // Cap1 VentureOne 3k // JCrew Store: $6.45k // WF Visa 3k // Amazon Store 2.5k // Quicksilver MC $1.5k // Discover IT $1250 // Chase Freedom $1k // PenFed LOC $500
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weaseled my way into USAA?

USAA was originally organized for Military Officers personnel back to the 1920's for Property & Casualty (p/c) Insurance. Checking, savings. credit cards, and investments all came years later. It was late 2009 before enlisted personnel other than active duty could obtain membership. I was only allowed in as a full member February 2010 and I was US Army Special Forces Vietnam. In order to qualify for the p/c you need to be a "full" member. "Limited" membership allowed you to take advantage of everything but p/c. Around mid-August 2013 USAA closed outside limited memberships (reason unknown to me). They may be easing back or you weaseled your way in (nice job). Jump on the CCs before they change their mind!
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.