cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding + Honeymoon is over... Now for the Bills!

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wedding + Honeymoon is over... Now for the Bills!

Yep, Its official,

Me and Joey tied the knot and went on the best vacation ever! We took a cruise to Alaska!    The cruise was paid for with Discover, and those charges were fully paid off in April...   But... the wedding ended up costing more than I'd anticipated... actually double, due to me wanting to make my daughter happy Smiley Happy  She wanted to see me in the traditional wedding gown, with flowers etc.

The wedding was small scale, we had about 55 guests, we did BBQ, cake, punch and tea.   I hosted about 25 people in my home for about 3 days, and so there were expenses associated with buying food, paper plates, cups etc for all my guests.

So now, the AMEX bill this month is 5100 Smiley Tongue

I've got the the costs from the Septic System repair sitting on Discover at 0% so i'm not really worried about that. Amex will be paid in two payments... one for $3600 on the day after statement cuts, and then another for 1500 on the 15th.

There were about 2k in shipboard costs due to shore excursions and gratuities, which was charged to NFCU cashRewards Visa. 

Looks like  I'll be carrying balances for at least the next two months, which really sucks!

Wedding was awesome, the Alaskan cruise was awesome (we brought my daughter along)  

Best vacation I ever had, but now, looking at CC balances sucks  Smiley Sad 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wedding + Honeymoon is over... Now for the Bills!

the good news is, we finally got hubby's DD for his VA disability going into our NFCU shares account...  Others have commented on here that NFCU likes to see direct deposits.

FICO 9:

Message 2 of 13
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Best wishes and much happiness to you, your daughter and Joey! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 13
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations!  That sounds fantastic!  And NFCU muuust love DD because they offer a CD at 3% if you have a DD of at least $300.  I would do it if they didn't hold the money for an extra day!

Enjoy!

Message 4 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Ya, on the vacation my husband and I both emptied our wallets before the trip. I had gotten a leather passport wallet with 5 slits to hold cards.  I brought NFCU Visa, and NFCU Platinum MC that I am AU on. The other three slits had my drivers liscence, insurance card, and passport card.   I felt like NFCU was who I needed to bring along, seeing as I had already used Amex Zync as much as I was willing to for the cycle.

FICO 9:

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad you had a great time webhopper. As a guy I can say your husband is quite lucky to have someone like you.

Passport card? Did you ever have to use it? when I got my passport I just got the book since a card is useless when traveling by air and I really wouldnt have much use for it. Not sure but I think it was only good for entering by land or sea.

Message 6 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad you had a great time webhopper. As a guy I can say your husband is quite lucky to have someone like you.

Passport card? Did you ever have to use it? when I got my passport I just got the book since a card is useless when traveling by air and I really wouldnt have much use for it. Not sure but I think it was only good for entering by land or sea.

we were traveling by sea and had some canadian ports of call. To my surprise we weren't asked for our passports when entering canadian soil, only when embarking and disembarking for the cruise.   It being the first time any of us has left the US as a citizen (Joey traveled overseas using military ID)  I was worried that somehow the passports would get lost or stolen during the trip...  so the passport cards were locked up in the cruise ship safe just in case we needed them. I think I was just paranoid in getting both types, but it was fairly cheap to add on the card, only 30 bucks, so I thought, why not Smiley Happy

FICO 9:

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:

You had one of those MC priceless moments.  Even priceless pieces of art have price tags attached to them.  Do not fret about it, as you said, you will only be carrying a balance for a few months.  Start planning the renewing of your vows and second honeymoon in 5 years and try to top this one Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

You had one of those MC priceless moments.  Even priceless pieces of art have price tags attached to them.  Do not fret about it, as you said, you will only be carrying a balance for a few months.  Start planning the renewing of your vows and second honeymoon in 5 years and try to top this one Smiley Happy

ROFL  funny you should mention a Vow renewal...  They offered this on ship for free in the chapel Smiley Wink  Joey suggested that he wasn't interested in renewing at this point in our marriage. Perhaps 5 yrs from now?

I'm thinking it will be another couple of yrs before we take another vacation of this magnitude. some friends of ours head to Jamaica every yr in Sept for a week (by plane).  We may try to do something like that next.

There were definately more than a few MC priceless moments on that trip Smiley Happy

FICO 9:

Message 9 of 13
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your nuptials!!  Sounds like you have a good plan for paying off the wedding expenses so don't even sweat it.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.