Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird AU Situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird AU Situation

I have a weird situation I wanted to ask about.  If I had an AU on a card of mine and that AU charged up my card to the max and then dumped themselves off the account:

1.  Am I liable for all the charges on my own?

2.  Can the CCC go after them for the money?

3.  If the AU had their own account with this CCC, would it affect their "internal" score with them and perhaps cause them to cancel the account of the AU on my card because of their reckless use of my card?  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
subsnao
Regular Contributor

Re: Weird AU Situation

thetestuser wrote:

I have a weird situation I wanted to ask about.  If I had an AU on a card of mine and that AU charged up my card to the max and then dumped themselves off the account:

3.  If the AU had their own account with this CCC, would it affect their "internal" score with them and perhaps cause them to cancel the account of the AU on my card because of their reckless use of my card?  

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends on the issuer I would assume, but I doubt it

In the garden as of 2/22/2015
Scores:
TU: 753 (Discover FICO 7/2014) EQ: 721 (FICO 4/2014) EX: 723 (FICO 3/2014)
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

1.  Yup

2. Nope

3. NOt sure I understand your question but if it's what I think you are asking, doubtful

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I'm asking for #3 is, let's say they're an AU on my Chase Freedom card (could be any lender really) and they also have their own Chase Freedom card.  If they run my card up and then drop off as an AU, could their Chase Freedom card be cancelled by Chase since they ran up the charges?  Is that at all likely?

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.

1. Unfortunately
2. No, but you can pay the money and try to go after them yourself in small claims court.

3. Highly unlikely, good luck

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the amount is above small claims court.  And they live in another state.  Very difficult to do.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What I'm asking for #3 is, let's say they're an AU on my Chase Freedom card (could be any lender really) and they also have their own Chase Freedom card.  If they run my card up and then drop off as an AU, could their Chase Freedom card be cancelled by Chase since they ran up the charges?  Is that at all likely?

In most cases, (except for AMEX and there may be others but not sure) the AU card has the same card number as the primary user.  The bank really doesn't care whether the primary or AU ran up the account.  On all the accounts I've ever added someone to there's usually a disclosure to read or check off that states the primary cardholder is responsible for payment on the account, the AU just is authorized to make charges on account.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, the amount is above small claims court.  And they live in another state.  Very difficult to do.

If this is the case, it sounds like you have to take this as an unfortunate lesson learned.  Hopefully you have the means to resolve this without it impacting your credit.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I don't.  It was a relationship gone bad, and I didn't remove the AU fast enough.  Oh well.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't.  It was a relationship gone bad, and I didn't remove the AU fast enough.  Oh well.

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear about it. People do evil things during breakups  If I can ask how much did they run up on the Freedom?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.