Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird AU Situation

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Weird AU Situation

Sorry to hear this OP but like every has said you are ultimately responsible for the debt. An AU is just that, they are authorized to use the account without recourse basically.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't.  It was a relationship gone bad, and I didn't remove the AU fast enough.  Oh well.

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear about it. People do evil things during breakups  If I can ask how much did they run up on the Freedom?

It wasn't just a Freedom - it was three cards.  One for 5K, one for 3K, and one for 2K.  All maxed out within days.  SMH.  NO way I can afford it.

Message 12 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Yeah, OP, unfortunately you're liable for all of these charges. You'll have to sue this other person to be able to get your money back. In the near future, be extra careful with who you add as an AU to your accounts. For now, talk to your banks and see what payment plan you can work out with them. 

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't.  It was a relationship gone bad, and I didn't remove the AU fast enough.  Oh well.

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear about it. People do evil things during breakups  If I can ask how much did they run up on the Freedom?

It wasn't just a Freedom - it was three cards.  One for 5K, one for 3K, and one for 2K.  All maxed out within days.  SMH.  NO way I can afford it.

Wish I could give you advice that would make it better.  As the previous poster stated reach out to the three companies and see what they can do for you.

Message 14 of 18
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Terrible situation to be in..

Why did you add them to 3 cards??? I could understand 1...

Anyways, can you make at least minimum payments on them until your financial situation improves?
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 15 of 18
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

This might be a bad suggestion, but it would keep you from not making payments. Maybe take out a small loan to cover the excess charges, then pay off the loan? 

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 16 of 18
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Your ex may have made purchases ordered online. Have you looked in to that?

Maybe you still have time to cancel some orders to save a little? Just an idea.

How did they spend $10,000 in a few days? That's ridiculous. Take that person to small claims court for the maximum amount. Here in California its $10,000. What state do you live in?

Did you owe the person money and they figured this is the fastest way to be paid back or was it out of pure spite?
Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 17 of 18
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What a horrible situation.   You should definitely contact an attorney and consider all legal options against the ex.  The amounts most likely exceed small claims court caps.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.