Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Call about Lowering APR on Credit Card

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Weird Call about Lowering APR on Credit Card

I have the numbers saved in my phone. When I get bored I sometimes call them and spend about 5 minutes getting their hopes up, just to give them obviously fake info in the end and laugh at them. 

It is cheap entertainment and I do not get charged any international calling. I think this last one was from Costa Rica

Message 11 of 16
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

What has the world come to!

Here I was hoping for few million dollars from so and so dictator's widowed wife's trust, and all that's coming up are measly percentage points off APR!

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

azguy13 - nice...!
Message 13 of 16
dta
New Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

I have the numbers saved in my phone. When I get bored I sometimes call them and spend about 5 minutes getting their hopes up, just to give them obviously fake info in the end and laugh at them. 

It is cheap entertainment and I do not get charged any international calling. I think this last one was from Costa Rica

I'd be careful doing this.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/one-ring-cell-phone-scam-can-ding-your-wallet

While it doesn't fit the profile of a one-ring call, it doesn't mean they couldn't try to do the same thing.

Freedom | BofA CR | Amex BCE | NFCU CR | CSP | Fidelity Amex | Citi AA Plat | Discover it | Amex PRG | US Airways Prem | SW RR Plus | Delta Gold | Citi Double Cash | WF Propel 360 | Chase BA
Message 14 of 16
Steelersboy
Frequent Contributor

yep, i get this call a lot, its a scam

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin |Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards|Chase Amazon Visa Rewards|BOA Cash Rewards|Commence MC| Citi Double Cash| Amazon Prime Store Card|Discover It|Chase Freedom|Chase Freedom Unlimited|Amex BCE|Wells Fargo Cash Wise|Barclays Cashforward
$89,500 total card credit FICO Equifax-823, FICO Transunion-774, FICO Experian-769, DTI-20.4%
Message 15 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I get the one ring calls all the time.  It is usually in the middle of the night!  It is very common where I live!  It is all just telemarketing here or some long distance calls.  I usually text back asking who they are.  Of course I do it in Chinese, since I currently live in China.  I can't wait to be home in the US and text people in Chinese!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.