Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Offer From AMEX... Help!!

tag
CEOriginal
Contributor

Weird Offer From AMEX... Help!!

Today I received another "pre-selected" offer from AMEX. I was denied May 15th due to high UTI%, but plan on app'ing again next week since that's taken care of.

This offer that I received, though, is for a sign up bonus of 25K points with....... AMEX GREEN?!??! Huh????? I've never heard of a sign up bonus with the Green card. I wanted the PRG for the first year for two reasons: 1) those 25K points, and 2) 2x points on gas and supermarket purchases. After the first year, I was probably going to downgrade to the Green anyway.

My question is this: Should I take AMEX on this offer? I mean, I know the common consensus is that approval criteria seems to be the same for all charge cards, but this seems to be a targeted offer. Does that matter? Also, if I were to use that RSVP code on the letter, I'm assuming it would automatically apply for the Green?

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Weird Offer From AMEX... Help!!

@CEOriginal wrote:

Today I received another "pre-selected" offer from AMEX. I was denied May 15th due to high UTI%, but plan on app'ing again next week since that's taken care of.

This offer that I received, though, is for a sign up bonus of 25K points with....... AMEX GREEN?!??! Huh????? I've never heard of a sign up bonus with the Green card. I wanted the PRG for the first year for two reasons: 1) those 25K points, and 2) 2x points on gas and supermarket purchases. After the first year, I was probably going to downgrade to the Green anyway.

My question is this: Should I take AMEX on this offer? I mean, I know the common consensus is that approval criteria seems to be the same for all charge cards, but this seems to be a targeted offer. Does that matter? Also, if I were to use that RSVP code on the letter, I'm assuming it would automatically apply for the Green?

Got it today spend 1000 in 3 months 25,000 pts problem is I app'ed thursday 

Good luck should you app

and yes if you use the code it's just for you

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Take the offer after your cr have updated.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Take the offer, then apply for gold right after you get instant approval for green!

Then you can get what you really want but have fall back of first approved green if not!

Message 4 of 15
CEOriginal
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Take the offer, then apply for gold right after you get instant approval for green!

Then you can get what you really want but have fall back of first approved green if not!

Wait a minute, I can apply for PRG RIGHT after I get approval for green?? Isn't there a wait period before I can successfully apply for another card?

Message 5 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wait a minute, I can apply for PRG RIGHT after I get approval for green?? Isn't there a wait period before I can successfully apply for another card?

No waiting

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

First of all, you can't app within 30 days of a denial. Take the offer after your cr has updated AND after the 15th.
Message 7 of 15
CEOriginal
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@CEOriginal wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

No waiting

Nice? Thanks guys... 

Any possibillity of the first app getting denied after approval if seond app is denied?

Message 8 of 15
CEOriginal
Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
First of all, you can't app within 30 days of a denial. Take the offer after your cr has updated AND after the 15th.

Yes, that I know. I'm applying sometime next week when I get a chance.

Message 9 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@CEOriginal wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

No waiting

Nice? Thanks guys... 

Any possibillity of the first app getting denied after approval if seond app is denied?

1st step is what Lexie said but if 1st app is approved no they won't take it back

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.