Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird credit card habits?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Weird credit card habits?

@Anonymous wrote:

I know they have great credit and would have no trouble getting approved for better cards!

Any other oddities?

While I don't use the same approach as your parents, I don't see your parents as odd.  Keep in mind that myFICO doesn't accurately represent the majority of consumers out there -- just as any discussion forum site presents a skewed perspective.

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know they have great credit and would have no trouble getting approved for better cards!

Any other oddities?

While I don't use the same approach as your parents, I don't see your parents as odd.  Keep in mind that myFICO doesn't accurately represent the majority of consumers out there -- just as any discussion forum site presents a skewed perspective.

The gas cards was the weirder part for me. Why only use store cards for gas! I've seen my dad get gas. They'll be two name brand, "top teir" gas stations. One is easy to get in and out of, 30 cents cheaper, and a nice looking place with lots of pumps. The other is more expensive, hard to get in and out of, and seems more interested in selling cigarettes. He'll go for the more expensive one where he has a gas card for, even though the rewards are practically nil.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took me awhile to justify using credit cards for non material items i was not owning forever like food and fuel.

I think online bill pay has change the philosophy for the better you can go online look at statement, running charges. Push multiple payments in a cycle.

In the old days we just got a bill in the mail remininding of our good and bad choices, and a week or two to get the check sent out. I fondly remember my dad buying things on the "wrong card" according to my mom, as her payoff system was timed. He was probably getting things a day or two before statement cuts lol
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit cards I choose was for unorthodox reasons. I look at the whole package which includes customer service, rewards, benefits, the network it is on and even how shiny it is Smiley Happy

The three credit cards that I have:

Amex Blue Cash - Mostly used for in store purchases and online transactions

Barclaycard  Ring - Online purchases, backup card for amex and used for emergenices. This card basically replaced my debit card

Citi Double Cash - Mostly bills, but also used for big expenses such as car repairs and medical bills

If you look face value, I am getting good rewards with the citi card and getting 3% for groceries for the amex and thats it. I would be better off  with discover, chase freedom, us bank cash +, huntington voice etc..

If you look deeper each of those credit cards pull a different credit bureau. For example Amex pulls Experian, Barclay pulls Transunion and Citi pulls Equifax. And all three credit cards also happen to offer free fico scores Smiley Happy

I have the credit cards staggered out so that one is due on the 1st, 15th and 22nd (when I get a fourth I will make its due date on the 8th). This gives 2 months float at any given time. That is something I dont see people do very often. I make online puchases and gas purchases with the credits with that have best customer serivce not based how much rewards I get as you see above. There is a very good reason for it. They are more risker and therefore have a higher chance of my credit card getting stolen. I much rather deal with amex or barclay then citibank.

I am thinking about getting Captial one Quicksilver Visa. The main reason is simple fact I want a visa as I dont have one and you change the credit card design to whatever you want. I will probably use it just for fastfood and dining out. Logically, I should use a huntington voice (the main problem it is a mastercard and I have two already) or usbank cash+ (I hate the design)

I'm not sure if that's still the case in the age of chip cards. If that's part of your reasoning, I'd check first. And if you're looking for a card for restaurants/fast food specifically, you hit the nail on the head with Cash+ (or Chase AARP or The Golden 1 CU if you're in CA). For someone who's worried about staggering payment dates etc, I can't believe you'd let the aesthetics keep you from 2/5% or 3% as long as you're going for a new card. But the thread IS weird CC habits. 

My problem with my Cash+, Freedom, SM, and Lowe's is that they're all near the same blue and hard to differentiate. And while I don't carry all my cards, I do usually carry these AND I carry them in the less-frequently-used section of my wallet so they're all with each other. I'm happy that my EDP, PRG, Disco, and RC all look different. Those are the ones in my main section currently. So yeah, there's my weird one I suppose. 

And I just remembered the other blue card. It WAS the Amazon Visa, but I closed it. As someone else said, I do like the colored edges on different cards to tell them apart. I never would have thought to color them. I may start with the SM.

I know, you are not suppose to pick credit cards based on how they look. I am doing more reseach and found a better card that suits me better. The Chase Sapphire with no fee. The big reason is that the reviews are really poor for Capital One and Chase is number three on JD power for customer service. Its a Visa, 2% on restaurants and the card looks half way decent. The only trouble is that I have to hope that Chase will let me downgrade from the perferred version after I apply. 

I just realized my 3 current credit cards are completey different colors which helps me grab the correct card at a quick glance. I took that for granted as I never dealt with credit cards that were similar enough to mix them up.

Message 24 of 25
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I think the strangest thing I have seen with credit cards is my mom, she actually laminates her cards! (Two Capital Ones) She said she does that so that if somebody stole her card or found it they couldn't use it (she only uses it online). Smiley Indifferent

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.