Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird credit card habits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird credit card habits?

OP, doesn't seem odd at all.  If you wanted them to get into this its not impossible.  Try explaining to them most cards let you track your spending. And if you want you can pay your charges off every day if it comes down to it.  Try speak to them in terms of rewards not money.  If they will allow you do this, see if you can figure out how much they spend a month and in what categories (gas, groceries, department stores, pharmacy, hotel/air, general spend).  Then you can get advice on which cards.  Or just use themanwhocan's link in my signature if you don't want to discuss publicly.

Moral of the story, unless they are buying a house in the next 12 months, not using credit inquiries is like throwing away coupons.  Maybe show them some of the free trips folks have been able to take as a result of card bonuses and rewards.  Heck folks that are older with major credit history can still apply for credit cards 30 days before closing on a mortgage and get away with it.

Tell them about the benefits of warranties.  Price protections. Return protection.  Car rental insurance.  Free museum passes.  Amex entertainment.  Citi Prestige or Amex SPG 3rd night free.  Heck at least get them each their own BOA Better Balance Rewards and either let them pay all their utilities with it.

Chase Freedom and Discover are really popular choices....but in the grand scheme of things they may want to pick one solid platform and run everything through it.  Do they travel?  Do they have any airline preferences?  Find out their habits.  If they dont travel much then focus on cash back.

If they like deal hunting and coupons....rewards cards and bonuses are totally their missing puzzle piece. At least it was for me!

@bada_bing wrote:

I would say that the majority of adults in the USA, even among those who have credit cards, do

not understand how the grace period and interest float works. All you have to do is listen to

***Dave Ramsey go on tangent railing against credit cards and FICO scores on the radio to understand

how low the level of knowledge is. I'd say the majority of people equate credit cards with debt absolutely

and don't understand any advantage to them other than borrowing money.

***Not that I'm anti Dave Ramsey in general, but his rantings on FICO and credit cards are absolutist ignorance.

Lol.  I am not anti Dave Ramsey in general either. I remember seeing his first youtube video and it really upset me.  Then I kinda realized it bothered me because a lot of what he said is true.  I am a lover of Suze Orman the goddess of Fico....but also am starting to like what Mr Ramsey says too.  Its all about balance and responsibility.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird habits? Uh... Sometimes I color the edge of my cards lol.

The Sallie Mae gets a nice splash of red. I think it goes faster?

And the Disco Check card gets a hit of black on the edges. 

p.s. the Disco Checking card is the lowest quality card I have ever had. It looked like it was thoroughly used before I even removed the sticker. There were still tags from the front film hanging off of it...

Message 12 of 25
jeffery581
Established Contributor

re: I scratch my azz with my Freedom Card!

mmmkay

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 13 of 25
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

I would say that the majority of adults in the USA, even among those who have credit cards, do

not understand how the grace period and interest float works. All you have to do is listen to

***Dave Ramsey go on tangent railing against credit cards and FICO scores on the radio to understand

how low the level of knowledge is. I'd say the majority of people equate credit cards with debt absolutely

and don't understand any advantage to them other than borrowing money.

***Not that I'm anti Dave Ramsey in general, but his rantings on FICO and credit cards are absolutist ignorance.

Your post sums up a conversation I recently had. My brother told me he does NOT ever want a credit card b/c all you are doing is borrowing money and paying interest.  It is as if some people think there is no way around paying interest on cards. I explained how I used my Discover card and Discover Deals for purchases, paid it off, will  pay $0 in interest, and used my credit card to make $140 last month. 

Sorry OP for getting off topic. So my weird habit was years ago when I used cards that had no rewards and actually paid interest each month Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely share many of the habits already posted.

*Often offer to pay for the meal (arguing that having the server split the check is a hassle), and then having other Venmo me.

*Use as a straightedge for exams this past semester (stepping distillation column stages for my separations class...)

*Check Discover Deals and gauge discounts... has a huge influence on where I shop...

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit cards I choose was for unorthodox reasons. I look at the whole package which includes customer service, rewards, benefits, the network it is on and even how shiny it is Smiley Happy

The three credit cards that I have:

Amex Blue Cash - Mostly used for in store purchases and online transactions

Barclaycard  Ring - Online purchases, backup card for amex and used for emergenices. This card basically replaced my debit card

Citi Double Cash - Mostly bills, but also used for big expenses such as car repairs and medical bills

If you look face value, I am getting good rewards with the citi card and getting 3% for groceries for the amex and thats it. I would be better off  with discover, chase freedom, us bank cash +, huntington voice etc..

If you look deeper each of those credit cards pull a different credit bureau. For example Amex pulls Experian, Barclay pulls Transunion and Citi pulls Equifax. And all three credit cards also happen to offer free fico scores Smiley Happy

I have the credit cards staggered out so that one is due on the 1st, 15th and 22nd (when I get a fourth I will make its due date on the 8th). This gives 2 months float at any given time. That is something I dont see people do very often. I make online puchases and gas purchases with the credits with that have best customer serivce not based how much rewards I get as you see above. There is a very good reason for it. They are more risker and therefore have a higher chance of my credit card getting stolen. I much rather deal with amex or barclay then citibank.

I am thinking about getting Captial one Quicksilver Visa. The main reason is simple fact I want a visa as I dont have one and you change the credit card design to whatever you want. I will probably use it just for fastfood and dining out. Logically, I should use a huntington voice (the main problem it is a mastercard and I have two already) or usbank cash+ (I hate the design)

I'm not sure if that's still the case in the age of chip cards. If that's part of your reasoning, I'd check first. And if you're looking for a card for restaurants/fast food specifically, you hit the nail on the head with Cash+ (or Chase AARP or The Golden 1 CU if you're in CA). For someone who's worried about staggering payment dates etc, I can't believe you'd let the aesthetics keep you from 2/5% or 3% as long as you're going for a new card. But the thread IS weird CC habits. 

My problem with my Cash+, Freedom, SM, and Lowe's is that they're all near the same blue and hard to differentiate. And while I don't carry all my cards, I do usually carry these AND I carry them in the less-frequently-used section of my wallet so they're all with each other. I'm happy that my EDP, PRG, Disco, and RC all look different. Those are the ones in my main section currently. So yeah, there's my weird one I suppose. 

And I just remembered the other blue card. It WAS the Amazon Visa, but I closed it. As someone else said, I do like the colored edges on different cards to tell them apart. I never would have thought to color them. I may start with the SM.

Message 16 of 25
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

But they always buy groceries with debit. I asked my mom about that once and she said she hates charging food/groceries because they're "consumable" and "wants something to show for the charge." (ie- clothes or a vacation or something). I don't really get it either but it works for them given they both have 800+ scores. 

I've come across this too, with people thinking it is wrong to buy groceries on credit.   In those cases, I think it was more the belief that anything charged on a card becomes an interest incurring debt and it's wrong to be in debt for  essentials like groceries.  

When I was a kid, the advice was you shouldn't buy groceries with a credit card.  The CCC might think you were over extended and take AA.   When I was in college, the major grocery store didn't accept credit cards.  It was cash or check.  Things have changed a lot in the past 25 years.  Now I can't imagine a grocery store not taking credit cards.  CCC actually want you to use your CC for everything. 

Message 17 of 25
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The credit cards I choose was for unorthodox reasons. I look at the whole package which includes customer service, rewards, benefits, the network it is on and even how shiny it is Smiley Happy

The three credit cards that I have:

Amex Blue Cash - Mostly used for in store purchases and online transactions

Barclaycard  Ring - Online purchases, backup card for amex and used for emergenices. This card basically replaced my debit card

Citi Double Cash - Mostly bills, but also used for big expenses such as car repairs and medical bills

If you look face value, I am getting good rewards with the citi card and getting 3% for groceries for the amex and thats it. I would be better off  with discover, chase freedom, us bank cash +, huntington voice etc..

If you look deeper each of those credit cards pull a different credit bureau. For example Amex pulls Experian, Barclay pulls Transunion and Citi pulls Equifax. And all three credit cards also happen to offer free fico scores Smiley Happy

I have the credit cards staggered out so that one is due on the 1st, 15th and 22nd (when I get a fourth I will make its due date on the 8th). This gives 2 months float at any given time. That is something I dont see people do very often. I make online puchases and gas purchases with the credits with that have best customer serivce not based how much rewards I get as you see above. There is a very good reason for it. They are more risker and therefore have a higher chance of my credit card getting stolen. I much rather deal with amex or barclay then citibank.

I am thinking about getting Captial one Quicksilver Visa. The main reason is simple fact I want a visa as I dont have one and you change the credit card design to whatever you want. I will probably use it just for fastfood and dining out. Logically, I should use a huntington voice (the main problem it is a mastercard and I have two already) or usbank cash+ (I hate the design)

I'm not sure if that's still the case in the age of chip cards. If that's part of your reasoning, I'd check first. And if you're looking for a card for restaurants/fast food specifically, you hit the nail on the head with Cash+ (or Chase AARP or The Golden 1 CU if you're in CA). For someone who's worried about staggering payment dates etc, I can't believe you'd let the aesthetics keep you from 2/5% or 3% as long as you're going for a new card. But the thread IS weird CC habits. 

My problem with my Cash+, Freedom, SM, and Lowe's is that they're all near the same blue and hard to differentiate. And while I don't carry all my cards, I do usually carry these AND I carry them in the less-frequently-used section of my wallet so they're all with each other. I'm happy that my EDP, PRG, Disco, and RC all look different. Those are the ones in my main section currently. So yeah, there's my weird one I suppose. 

And I just remembered the other blue card. It WAS the Amazon Visa, but I closed it. As someone else said, I do like the colored edges on different cards to tell them apart. I never would have thought to color them. I may start with the SM.

1) Cap1 now allows pictures on the chipped cards.

2) What trips me up is my Cash+ and Discover both have an orange core.  The Citi DC has blue top, but the core is blue.  Freedom has a unique green core.  You might be able to request the racing Lowes card design.  It is black with a white core.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a very interesting topic.  I too use my credit card as a ruler when I do my bills or categorize my coin collection; espicially when I don't have my ruler handy.  I also place my credit cards in my wallet in order of precedence.  I know that this next thing may not be safe, but I never sign my credit cards in the back of the cards.  I probably should. It is a bad habit that I must fix.  Other than that, I guess this is the extent of my weird CC habits.  Thanks for sharing.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions for getting my parents some better credit cards. I'll see what I can do.

I thought of another odd one: I have some grandparents that are still quite active despite their age. They live in a small town where they know everyone. They do not trust sending money off to pay for things, whether that means mailing checks or on-line. So they have one credit card they use for most stuff (Discover). He's had it since he worked at Sears and it was the Sears credit card. He pays the bill at the local K-Mart, which apparently still accepts Discover card payments even though Sears has no connection with Discover any more! They drive around town to pay all their bills.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.