Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, Cap One, it was fun while it lasted

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Well, Cap One, it was fun while it lasted

Wont get into my experience but this was how it felt to close Cap One for me Smiley Very Happy Congrats0e7ce98-1.jpg

Message 11 of 17
chalupaman
Super Contributor

RIP to your Captain One card.

It will not be missed.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 17
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I have a lot of Cap 1 cards and don't care about bashing them but I'll probably be dumping them by the end of the year.   I feel like  the majority of Cap 1 holders have the same dreaded AF attached to their cards that I do and it has gotten old.  There is one thing I will say against Cap 1 is that the card doesn't grow.  Other's have reported growth but in most comparisons it is still stagnant or poor growth.   I mean going from 1k to 5k in five years is poor growth to me.  They seem to target good folks who have made mistakes in the past and they give you a chance but then hold you back with AF's and little or no CLI's.  After the credit steps program you can forget about auto CLI.  The EO was a good tool at one time but it looks like from the post I see here they are becoming less responsive.    They are doing fine I am sure, but would do much better if they would treat loyal customers as such.   So many are hesitant to close the card because they really appreciate the chance Cap 1 gave them.........Cap 1 should be more sensitive to this fact.

Message 13 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I like and don't like them.  They helped in my rebuild, but they were not the first card I had in it.  That would have been Merrick.  And there is a bit of love and hate by others with them too!  I had to axe my Merrick Bank card when they wouldn't remove the AF or give my deposit back. 

I had to fight with CapOne to get my AF removed on my first card with them.  They said no, I said go at the two year mark.  When the two year mark came on my second card with them they seemed a bit more willing to do so.  They still wouldn't increase my limit though, I had to go the EO route twice for that.  And yeah, I do agree the EO route is becoming harder, probably because of this forum and how we have used it to get results which should't have been so hard to get.  I too will at some point close my second card I got with them, or they will when it has been sitting unused for a while.  I actually now have three cards with them.  One of the original two, one old HSBC card, and a Signature card.  I want to keep the HSBC card and the Signature card.  I like how the old HSBC, once it was converted, gave different account numbers for each authorized user.  

Congrats on the closure.  Because seriously, after 17 years and such a low limit, that speaks volumes about CapOne and how much they appreciate customers.  I can't even imagine why they didn't try to do something to retain you.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 14 of 17
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

17 years to go from $300 to $2.5k??!?  WOW!! 

Crap1...  Keepin it classy!

Message 15 of 17
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Very good points and reasons as to why I closed it:

They would not waive the AF

Only grew $2,200 over a 17 year span

Had no "offers" to upgrade me

Obviously, it didn't grow with me..

@taxi818, AAoA takes into account any account, opened or closed and it will report for another 10 years. By that time, my other cards would have been 10+ old so no worries there.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may end up closing my Visa QS later this year when my EQ cleans up its act. Then ill app for a venture for signup bonus.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.