cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well I finally did it, I closed 3 of my cards today.

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Well I finally did it, I closed 3 of my cards today.

I've been telling myself I was going to close some of them. I called the Cap 1 exec office to see if they could take the limits from my newcomers, and Sony cards, and add them to my journey cards limit. NOPE. He even gave me the "you are not eligible for credit limit increases on your accounts, and we cannot combine credit lines." I said "well can you go ahead and just close those two cards, they are useless to me, because I have many other cards with better limits, and rewards." He said "no problem" and closed them. So all I have left from Cap 1 is my journey. Then after cutting those up, I look in my sock drawer and see my Staples card, and I got mad at it LOL, and think to myself "a 27% interest rate for a $651 limit, no thanks", I asked for a CLI online, denied, called in and closed that card too. It feels great to get rid of 3 useless cards! 

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Well I finally did it, I closed 3 of my cards today.

@ilovelisa wrote:

I've been telling myself I was going to close some of them. I called the Cap 1 exec office to see if they could take the limits from my newcomers, and Sony cards, and add them to my journey cards limit. NOPE. He even gave me the "you are not eligible for credit limit increases on your accounts, and we cannot combine credit lines." I said "well can you go ahead and just close those two cards, they are useless to me, because I have many other cards with better limits, and rewards." He said "no problem" and closed them. So all I have left from Cap 1 is my journey. Then after cutting those up, I look in my sock drawer and see my Staples card, and I got mad at it LOL, and think to myself "a 27% interest rate for a $651 limit, no thanks", I asked for a CLI online, denied, called in and closed that card too. It feels great to get rid of 3 useless cards! 

Good Job! you have some good cards, let them grow and you will be putting yourself into a great position.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 2 of 25
starry1
Valued Contributor

Good for you! I know a lot of the posters here don't believe in closing cards, but I'm like you and don't see a reason for crap cards you will never use.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 3 of 25
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Nice!

Feels good to outgrow those cards, eh? 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 4 of 25
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@starry1 wrote:
Good for you! I know a lot of the posters here don't believe in closing cards, but I'm like you and don't see a reason for crap cards you will never use.

Exactly, why keep what I will never use, and so what if I take a hit to my AAoA, its only like 5 months anyway, since I have opened alot of account recently.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 5 of 25
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

Nice!

Feels good to outgrow those cards, eh? 

It sure does, why do I need a non growing cap 1 with a $500 limit, when I have a prime growing PenFed card with $5000.

Message 6 of 25
fltn
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

I closed my target $200, FP $550, and Credit One $500 last week.

I did keep my oldest FP open, $900 no AF and 9%. Got that 4 1/2 years ago, and when I threatened to close they gave my 9% and no fees for anything, even increases.

Currently "freezing" in the garden!
Message 7 of 25
adavis425
Established Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

Exactly, why keep what I will never use, and so what if I take a hit to my AAoA, its only like 5 months anyway, since I have opened alot of account recently.

Nope, no hit. It'll report positively for ten years! Smiley Tongue  Great feeling to drop a useless card, right? Congrats!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 25
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@adavis425 wrote:

@ilovelisa wrote:

@starry1 wrote:

Nope, no hit. It'll report positively for ten years! Smiley Tongue  Great feeling to drop a useless card, right? Congrats!

Thats perfect, positive for TEN years Smiley Very Happy.And it does feel really great to drop them, and even the exec office wouldn't help me to get an  increase, or try to get me to keep those 2 cards.

Message 9 of 25
Coldness
Contributor

I've got a local credit union card at 8% APR that I've been toying around with closing forever. It's only a $500 limit, so that APR isn't doing me any good. I've already got a Simplicity at 11% and a 5k limit, so... whatever. I'm sure they'd do some measly $1k CLI if I accepted a hard pull. I hate the card itself though. Zero options online. Make a payment, that's it.

My local credit union's online banking blows in general and Chase's mobile apps are calling to me, but that's another story...

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.