Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, ladies and gents. I've just been FR'd

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Well, ladies and gents. I've just been FR'd

Usually AMEX wants to see tax return first. If there is any discrepancy on the tax return then they may ask for paystubs.

Message 91 of 260
red259
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Usually AMEX wants to see tax return first. If there is any discrepancy on the tax return then they may ask for paystubs.

+1 Yea. I don't see any way around giving them the tax returns if you want to go forward with the FR. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 92 of 260
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Yah, that's all good and dandy. All let you guys know how it goes. I'll give them a call on the 18th.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 93 of 260
score_building
Senior Contributor

To call them and say "...I can pay off the cards in a week or two..." as you state in PP is weak sauce.

Have duckies in a row, including PIF and how you wish to respond (unfettered by emotion) if they insist on tax returns BEFORE calling if possible.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 94 of 260
red259
Super Contributor

@score_building wrote:

To call them and say "...I can pay off the cards in a week or two..." as you state in PP is weak sauce.

Have duckies in a row, including PIF and how you wish to respond (unfettered by emotion) if they insist on tax returns BEFORE calling if possible.

+1 I would definetly PIF before calling in. Calling up and offering to PIF in a week or two just sounds like a really bad idea, since I would think that would raise a majopr flag with the lender making them think that you don't have the money on hand to pay. Keep in mind PIF is not going to change their mind about FR and wanting to see your paperwork. 

;
Message 95 of 260
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
Well, I did use the card for aGC and nothing else. I didn't know I had to buy something else I don't want in order to makeAmex happylol.

That's super suspicious. I did the same thing last year on my BCE, despite knowing the risks. (A portal was paying out 4% but it expired the day after I activated my card, so I didn't have time to put regular purchases on it).

Of course, Amex the GC merchant declined the BCE, so I tried again. It was only 1k, but running it twice puts 2k of pending charges on the acct. Immediately frozen. Amex actually encourages consumers to buy their GCs, oddly enough.

I was not FR'd. Instead, Amex forced me to get a notarized form from a bank verifying my driver's licence. I had to drive into town, go to the bank, waste some banker's time, the freaking fax was broken so that led to a trip to staples, where I waited in line to send the fax and then had to pay a few bucks.

Account was unfrozen the next day. Personally, I would have preferred the damn 4506-T! But I certainly understand your privacy concerns.

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 96 of 260
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

+1 I would definetly PIF before calling in. Calling up and offering to PIF in a week or two just sounds like a really bad idea, since I would think that would raise a majopr flag with the lender making them think that you don't have the money on hand to pay. Keep in mind PIF is not going to change their mind about FR and wanting to see your paperwork. 

If OP doesn't intend to provide the tax info (and the general consensue is that refusing will lead to closure) why should he PIF early?  It's not going to change anything, as you say, so keep the money until it needs to be paid.

Message 97 of 260
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

If OP doesn't intend to provide the tax info (and the general consensue is that refusing will lead to closure) why should he PIF early?  It's not going to change anything, as you say, so keep the money until it needs to be paid.

OP shouldn't PIF if they aren't going supply tax documents. My recommendation was to PIF versus saying they will pay in two weeks. This is assuming OP is going to go through with the FR and provide the requested paperwork. Otherwise I agree there is no point in PIF now since their accounts will likely be shutdown anyway. 

;
Message 98 of 260
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I've spent thousands of dollars on my CSP and Chase haven't once requested my tax returns, what makes Amex so different...nothing. Like I've said before, I'll cancel my accounts if my options are limited to just tax returns.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 99 of 260
score_building
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

If, as OP is reportedly planning, he brings up the timing of repayment when contacting Amex it should be to highlight that there is no balance on the account. OP stated that he could have paid up front from the outset, so the timing of repayment isn't an issue. Since he plans on trying to negotiate terms of F/R, may as well do so from a relative position of strength (debt free) than weakness (indebted).

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 100 of 260
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.