Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, ladies and gents. I've just been FR'd

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Well, ladies and gents. I've just been FR'd

I wonder if a simple call to AMEX to inform them of a large purchase could prevent these things?
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 51 of 260
NegotiatorRogerSmith
New Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:
I wonder if a simple call to AMEX to inform them of a large purchase could prevent these things?

In my experience, unlike all other banks that would, AMEX doesn't "notate" the acct of high/out of town spend, but will notate intl travel. Other than that, the system determines, based on spending patterns, what transaction is ok and what is not (e.g. suspicious), and only after a blocked transaction can you call in to verify the transaction, assuming they don't require more info... kinda a pain.

All my other cards, I give them a heads up and never have to worry. AMEX, otth... smh.

Only other thing I can think of is having them on the phone as you're transacting to ensure it goes through... but again, what a pain...

Message 52 of 260
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Amex now but am sometimes worried about a $30 dinner getting declined. I generally carry cash as a backup and have a chase freedom in the mail waiting to get.

Sometimes I have business dinners that may look bad if they get declined. Trying to convince someone to do business with the company I work for with getting declined doesn't mix too well.
Message 53 of 260
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

No... Not 6 GC for 3k each, but rather 6 GC equally 3k.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 54 of 260
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
No... Not 6 GC for 3k each, but rather 6 GC equally 3k.

Just out of interest, where did you get them?  Supermarket/drug store/online/from that shady guy down at the gym?

Message 55 of 260
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Lol.. I bought them off the Amex website. Not some second hand source. I wasn't trying hide the fact that I was buying it. Like I said, we're having a raffle at work, so we'll be giving them away. Plus I didn't 3k was that much, I could have just use my debit card. I'm going to get reimbursed anyway. I just wanted points for it.
Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 56 of 260
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Maybe they just want to verify income? 24 years old is usually the age people get their masters, rather than a doctorate. Although, I know it is possible... one of my husband's peers completed his doctorate within 2 years, and that was in Physics. It could just be that they want to verify the income for the amount of cards/credit lines that you have been requesting (considering recent amex app).

Message 57 of 260
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I'm actually flattered, Lol! They can verify with my employer, if they want. I don't know how they do it in other schools, but I didn't get a master's in anything. I got a BS in Community Health Education and applied to PT after speaking with the coordinator. Took 3 years and I finished last year. Of course I won't tell you guys where i work...

Message 58 of 260
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:
Lol.. I bought them off the Amex website. Not some second hand source. I wasn't trying hide the fact that I was buying it. Like I said, we're having a raffle at work, so we'll be giving them away. Plus I didn't 3k was that much, I could have just use my debit card. I'm going to get reimbursed anyway. I just wanted points for it.

Yes, that really isn't very much.  With accounts set up, you can buy up to $5K (every 14 days) in personal cards, or $75K in business cards, so $3K should have be fine.

I hope you went through a cash back portal though!

Message 59 of 260
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Did you buy them all at once?

I for example buy GC at my local grocery store, but for $500 each time. I usually buy 3 of them per month.

Message 60 of 260
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.