Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Closed My Credit Card

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Closed My Credit Card

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

You should call them up and thank them..... Because they did you a huge favor. IJS

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late update, so it turns out they closed it for lack of activity, i guess making a 10 dollar purchase once every 8 months just wasnt cutting it for them lol

sucks my first account was closed by the bank, but oh well, it was my lowest limit of 2,200 anyway.

I asked the CSR on the phone if we can reopen the account and she said no, that i can apply for a new card, i thought to myself why on earth would i app for a new account with them if i haven't used the one i had at all and it got closed lol.

Do you guys think a superviser or a manager or whoever in charge in that department would be able to reopen a closed account?

Message 12 of 21
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for the late update, so it turns out they closed it for lack of activity, i guess making a 10 dollar purchase once every 8 months just wasnt cutting it for them lol

sucks my first account was closed by the bank, but oh well, it was my lowest limit of 2,200 anyway.

I asked the CSR on the phone if we can reopen the account and she said no, that i can apply for a new card, i thought to myself why on earth would i app for a new account with them if i haven't used the one i had at all and it got closed lol.

Do you guys think a superviser or a manager or whoever in charge in that department would be able to reopen a closed account?

About 99.9% sure that's a no. Once they close an account, it's closed. The good news is, it means absolutely nothing to you, your CR or scores. There seems to be this self precieved stigma associated with closed by grantor/creditor/bank etc. but it's totally overblown. That card is not even a drop in your bucket and it's one less thing to worry about putting $10 on once a year. Good riddance I say.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

About 99.9% sure that's a no. Once they close an account, it's closed. The good news is, it means absolutely nothing to you, your CR or scores. There seems to be this self precieved stigma associated with closed by grantor/creditor/bank etc. but it's totally overblown. That card is not even a drop in your bucket and it's one less thing to worry about putting $10 on once a year. Good riddance I say.

It's hard/sad to close a first account (if it's not a predatory one) but at least it'll stay on your report for 10 years (can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into closing a card or two?)

Message 14 of 21
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow -I'm shocked! Closure with only 8 months of inactivity.

I always thought cards were safe from closure due to inactivity if used at less than 12 month intervals and safe from an CLD AA if inactivity was kept below 6 months..

Thanks for the update.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 15 of 21
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Smiley Surprised Going to use my WF card now...:

Message 16 of 21
degs138
Established Contributor

I have a wf. I'd like to keep it open to help aaoa. I'm going to put sind some spend on it this month

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I always thought cards were safe from closure due to inactivity if used at less than 12 month intervals and safe from an CLD AA if inactivity was kept below 6 months..

Thanks for the update.

Same. 8 months of inactivity seems way too little for them to close it. I know people who haven't touched their cards for years and I mean YEARS and their account is still open. I guess it varies....every situation is different. 

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the update.

I was definitely never going to close the account myself since its my oldest one and first one, but since they closed it, i guess it was meant to be. All of my other cards are over 5k limit and some are way over 10k. So the drop in available credit wont make a difference and since it'll stay on my report for another 10 years, i won't loose my AAOA.

Wells fargo used to be my main bank back in the day, but then i swithced to Chase and all my money/Activity is with them, so maybe 5 other accounts  with wells fargo that i have that i never use except the occasional transfer to keep them alive with a balace of under 20 bucks might have made then unhappy too haha.

I'm just glad that the innactivity was the reason and not someting serious that a bank possibly picked up on that gave me a mini heart attack, and now that we know wells fargo will do such a thing, atleast my situation will help everyone else who is reading this and has a wells fargo card, that this bank requires a little bit of use to prevent closure.

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not surprised that the account was closed after 8 months of inactivity. Some issuers are more trigger-happy than others, and even banks that send "use it or else" warnings to some customers don't send them to others.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.