Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo - HP for CLI?

tag
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

Wells Fargo - HP for CLI?

I received a new card from WFB since my card was near its expiration date. Since I had to activate the card, I also requested a CLI. I was under the impression that the CLI requests were always soft pulls. However, I noticed on Monday that I had a hard inquiry on my credit report from Wells Fargo. 

Are they doing hard pulls now? The customer service rep said someone would call me that Monday, but no one ever did. I would have never asked if I knew it would be a hard pull. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Wells Fargo - HP for CLI?

Always assume asking for a CLI will result in a HP. It's wonderful if you receive a sp CLI but 9x out of 10 they ar few and far between.

Message 2 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Wells Fargo does SP CLIs. However, they do work a little differently from other banks. Whenever you ask for a CLI, you have to state the amount you want. The system will either approve or decline you. It will not counteroffer, so if you want a SP CLI, be realistic about the amount you are asking for.

If you are declined, it will be sent to the credit department automatically for a hard inquiry CLI request. The CSRs on the phone cannot stop that from happening. Your best recourse then is to ask to be transferred to that department, or call their direct number once they are open in the morning, and see if you can retract that request if it hasn't been processed. It typically is processed within couple hours of the initial cli request, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 14
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

+1 enharu
Message 4 of 14
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

What part of Country are you in and what Credit Bureau did WF pull ?

Thanks

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 5 of 14
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Wells Fargo does SP CLIs. However, they do work a little differently from other banks. Whenever you ask for a CLI, you have to state the amount you want. The system will either approve or decline you. It will not counteroffer, so if you want a SP CLI, be realistic about the amount you are asking for.

If you are declined, it will be sent to the credit department automatically for a hard inquiry CLI request. The CSRs on the phone cannot stop that from happening. Your best recourse then is to ask to be transferred to that department, or call their direct number once they are open in the morning, and see if you can retract that request if it hasn't been processed. It typically is processed within couple hours of the initial cli request, sometimes faster, sometimes slower.

Yes, they have done SP CLI's for me before. I always request through CSR. I called becuase I had to activate my new card (old one expired) and then I got a letter stating I had "enough" credit.

Message 6 of 14
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

What part of Country are you in and what Credit Bureau did WF pull ?

Thanks

J

I am in Northern California and they pulled Experian.

Message 7 of 14
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.

Can't afford another INQ on EX.

As somebody said on the forum a while back "If I sneeze I get a HP on EX"., or something like that.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 8 of 14
kayvee_
Regular Contributor

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

Thank you.

Can't afford another INQ on EX.

As somebody said on the forum a while back "If I sneeze I get a HP on EX"., or something like that.

Neither can I. It is my lowest score. 

Message 9 of 14
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

They might do auto love after the 1st 12 months of having your card, and then once every 6 months thereafter (that's what they did for me).
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.