Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Not "Graduating" Secured Cards

tag
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Not "Graduating" Secured Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

They mailed me a check.  I called them at the 30 day mark to ask why it was taking them so long to give me my money back and they told me the same thing, that they needed to wait and make sure all charges cleared and that there were no automatic payments set up on the account.  I was so frustrated.  I'm just happy now that it's all over and I don't have to deal with them any longer.

Well, hopefully it will not take as long since they are supposed to direct deposit it back into my WF checking account.  I will keep ya posted.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 21 of 53
Tazman81
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This news is very disappointing indeed. I've only had my WF secured card for a few months and I don't have anything bad to say about WF right now, so I'll be holding on to it and see how this plays out. If next spring, when I've had the card for 12 months, they have not reinstated the graduation program then I will probably drop the card and find another.

However, until then I'm not going to up and cancel just because they have put a freeze on their secured card graduation program. Here's hoping that they stand by their secured card graduation program in the long run.

I agree with you.  I didn't have any bad experience with Wells Fargo, but I just stared looking at the big picture for myself.  Of course each of us is different.  For me, I didn't want to be in a position where I had money just sitting there for years down the line that is not earning any interest.  It would have been like a catch 22.  If this were the only card that I had then I would have kept it.  But I had cards that were open longer than WF, so I decided to not continue on with them.  I also spoke with my Credit Union and they said that they cannot guarantee this, but the underwriter is very confident that with 6 more months of good payments on the 2 cards that I have now and my car loan, they will refinance my car for me at a much better rate and will be able to give me an unsecured card with them.  So, I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us.  Oh, and plus the credit unions interest that they pay on their deposit accounts is much higher than WF.  I will say that I have never had any complaints and everyone that I've spoken with from WF has been very nice.  My first mortgage was actually through WF.

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 22 of 53
Regular Contributor

So, bad news. I signed up for a credit card at America First Credit Union. They made me get a checking and savings account with them to even process the application. They pulled my EX Fico and she said it was 678. I was denied a CC because my business was started at the begining of the year so they couldn't verify income. Also I have a part time job since the begining of the year and that was too short of employment length. Oh well. I closed both the checking and savings. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Message 23 of 53
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Just thought I'd post info here that on my TU credit report, WF reports their card as a secured card.  I will update once I check my other reports.

Message 24 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@92235 wrote:

So, bad news. I signed up for a credit card at America First Credit Union. They made me get a checking and savings account with them to even process the application. They pulled my EX Fico and she said it was 678. I was denied a CC because my business was started at the begining of the year so they couldn't verify income. Also I have a part time job since the begining of the year and that was too short of employment length. Oh well. I closed both the checking and savings. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Try Alliant CU, if your EQ score is similar to your EX than you should not have a problem getting an unsecured card. However, if you apply online you must open a savings account which will cost you an inquiry. If you don't get offered any preapprovals then you'll need to apply and take another inquiry hit. Perhaps call in to sign up or visit a branch if there is one by you to see if they can use the same pull for both.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

Message 25 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tazman81 wrote:

Just thought I'd post info here that on my TU credit report, WF reports their card as a secured card.  I will update once I check my other reports.

Yes, its a well known fact around here that all the secured cards from the prime banks report as such. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 53
tobey
Contributor

I've read Captial One doesn't report as secured. Haven't seen it for myself yet though.

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 53
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Try Alliant CU, if your EQ score is similar to your EX than you should not have a problem getting an unsecured card. However, if you apply online you must open a savings account which will cost you an inquiry. If you don't get offered any preapprovals then you'll need to apply and take another inquiry hit. Perhaps call in to sign up or visit a branch if there is one by you to see if they can use the same pull for both.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

Sorry I am here in Utah and there are no branches near me.

Also it looks like Wells only reports it as a secured card to Transunion for me. Its only in the comments so I doubt it would effect scoring. It would only change if a human looked at it, and how many companies actually do manual underwriting?

Message 28 of 53
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

Yes, its a well known fact around here that all the secured cards from the prime banks report as such. Smiley Sad

Care to elaborate on that.   I like to see a list. 

Message 29 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tazman81 wrote:

Care to elaborate on that.   I like to see a list. 

BofA, US Bank, Citi & WF all show secured.

I'm not sure about cap1 but they have subprime products as well, where those in that list don't.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.