Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

@Brusilov wrote:

When I was approved for mine years ago my profile was in sad shape indeed: 550-575 FICO, 2 unpaid collections, no open credit lines.  I think you will be just fine!

Have you looked at getting a secured card through BofA or elsewhere instead?  YMMV but from what I've seen of forum experiences they graduate with greater regularity than WF.

OP, Is it just me or you having mid 600's scores and not a ton of negative factors...couldnt you just get some kind of non-secured card?

Message 11 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

When I was approved for mine years ago my profile was in sad shape indeed: 550-575 FICO, 2 unpaid collections, no open credit lines.  I think you will be just fine!

Have you looked at getting a secured card through BofA or elsewhere instead?  YMMV but from what I've seen of forum experiences they graduate with greater regularity than WF.

OP, Is it just me or you having mid 600's scores and not a ton of negative factors...couldnt you just get some kind of non-secured card?

Lots of store cards, GE-backed cards, Cap One (just to name a few) would probably approve you for unsecured cards with a 650 FICO.

Message 12 of 15
Poki
Valued Member

@shane82388 wrote:

I should probably confess, its not just my score rather I have midish/high utilization (I'm thinking 50%, most cards at 0-15%). I've decided to hold out on applying, instead I'm going to pay down my current CC debt.

Anyhow, I received an eMail from Wells Fargo today. They are mailing me my ATM card!! I was hoping their savings account came with a card. Wells Fargo, if you are listening, you should probably mention online that your savings account comes with a convenience/ATM card, because I almost choose a different bank over you.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 13 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@shane82388 wrote:

+1   I was wondering the same thing. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Poki wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has insight at what Wells Fargo looks for when applying for their secured credit card?

My credit profile isn't great, but not "bad"; 650 FICO, no collection/charge-offs/baddies other than two 30 day late payments (01/2011 and 01/2008... oops).

I was thinking about opening a checking savings account with them, so I can have a local place to deposit cash (my banks are out of state).

I was approved for a car loan (Wells Fargo Dealer Services) back in June 2013; positive payments since. Probably doesn't have any leverage.

Like the other posters stated I think you may qualify for an unseaured card.

From my understanding the main approval criteria is: 1) if you have a BK, it must be one year since discharge and 2) no outstanding liens.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.