Valued Member
Poki

Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

[ Edited ]

Just wondering if anyone has insight at what Wells Fargo looks for when applying for their secured credit card?

My credit profile isn't great, but not "bad"; 650 FICO, no collection/charge-offs/baddies other than two 30 day late payments (01/2011 and 01/2008... oops).

I was thinking about opening a checking savings account with them, so I can have a local place to deposit cash (my banks are out of state).

I was approved for a car loan (Wells Fargo Dealer Services) back in June 2013; positive payments since. Probably doesn't have any leverage.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Super Contributor
enharu

Re: Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

Poki wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has insight at what Wells Fargo looks for when applying for their secured credit card?

My credit profile isn't great, but not "bad"; 650 FICO, no collection/charge-offs/baddies other than two 30 day late payments (01/2011 and 01/2008... oops).

I was thinking about opening a checking account with them, so I can have a local place to deposit cash (my banks are out of state).

I was approved for a car loan (Wells Fargo Dealer Services) back in June 2013; positive payments since. Probably doesn't have any leverage.

when you are opening your checking account, ask your banker about the secured card too. Wells Fargo branch bankers can sometimes "help" you get approved for certain credit products as long as the request itself isn't too unreasonable.

nevertheless, I think your odds are good.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Valued Member
Poki

ok! I just may consider WF oops, I meant savings account.
Regular Contributor
Give_Me_Credit_Please

I opened a secured WF cc about 8 months ago and my score was around 620, I have a tax lien and one collection account. I do have a WF checking account though. Based on your profile, you shouldn't have a problem at all. If you open a checking account with them that would help alot. Good luck and keep us udated.

Valued Member
Poki

hmm... savings account, I'm not too interested in their checking account (fees).

Valued Member
Poki

Just opened up a savings account (online).
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Looking at your profile you shouldn't have a problem ......Good luck

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Valued Member
Poki

[ Edited ]

myjourney wrote:

you pulled my credit report? :smileyfrustrated:

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Poki wrote:

myjourney wrote:

you pulled my credit report? :smileyfrustrated:

Lol

No CO's Baddies,

2 lates only negative

Mid 650 scores 

:smileytongue:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Established Contributor
Brusilov

When I was approved for mine years ago my profile was in sad shape indeed: 550-575 FICO, 2 unpaid collections, no open credit lines.  I think you will be just fine!

Have you looked at getting a secured card through BofA or elsewhere instead?  YMMV but from what I've seen of forum experiences they graduate with greater regularity than WF.

$17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+