Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

tag
Poki
Valued Member

Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

Just wondering if anyone has insight at what Wells Fargo looks for when applying for their secured credit card?

My credit profile isn't great, but not "bad"; 650 FICO, no collection/charge-offs/baddies other than two 30 day late payments (01/2011 and 01/2008... oops).

I was thinking about opening a checking savings account with them, so I can have a local place to deposit cash (my banks are out of state).

I was approved for a car loan (Wells Fargo Dealer Services) back in June 2013; positive payments since. Probably doesn't have any leverage.

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Secured Card criteria?

@Poki wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has insight at what Wells Fargo looks for when applying for their secured credit card?

My credit profile isn't great, but not "bad"; 650 FICO, no collection/charge-offs/baddies other than two 30 day late payments (01/2011 and 01/2008... oops).

I was thinking about opening a checking account with them, so I can have a local place to deposit cash (my banks are out of state).

I was approved for a car loan (Wells Fargo Dealer Services) back in June 2013; positive payments since. Probably doesn't have any leverage.

when you are opening your checking account, ask your banker about the secured card too. Wells Fargo branch bankers can sometimes "help" you get approved for certain credit products as long as the request itself isn't too unreasonable.

nevertheless, I think your odds are good.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 15
Poki
Valued Member

ok! I just may consider WF oops, I meant savings account.
Message 3 of 15
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I opened a secured WF cc about 8 months ago and my score was around 620, I have a tax lien and one collection account. I do have a WF checking account though. Based on your profile, you shouldn't have a problem at all. If you open a checking account with them that would help alot. Good luck and keep us udated.

Message 4 of 15
Poki
Valued Member

hmm... savings account, I'm not too interested in their checking account (fees).

Message 5 of 15
Poki
Valued Member

Just opened up a savings account (online).
Message 6 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Looking at your profile you shouldn't have a problem ......Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 15
Poki
Valued Member

@myjourney wrote:

you pulled my credit report? Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Poki wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

you pulled my credit report? Smiley Frustrated

Lol

No CO's Baddies,

2 lates only negative

Mid 650 scores 

Smiley Tongue

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 15
Brusilov
Established Contributor

When I was approved for mine years ago my profile was in sad shape indeed: 550-575 FICO, 2 unpaid collections, no open credit lines.  I think you will be just fine!

Have you looked at getting a secured card through BofA or elsewhere instead?  YMMV but from what I've seen of forum experiences they graduate with greater regularity than WF.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.