Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Secured Credit No Good!

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Secured Credit No Good!

This thread title has my vote already for "Title" of the year.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Wells Fargo Secured - No Good!  

Message 11 of 24
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I was approved last week and should be receiving my card any day now, but from all the negativity I've been hearing, I might just cancel it and open BofA instead. My luck I'll get denied for BofA and not have anythink.

Message 12 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

I was approved last week and should be receiving my card any day now, but from all the negativity I've been hearing, I might just cancel it and open BofA instead. My luck I'll get denied for BofA and not have anythink.

I wouldn't cancel it yet, but just be mindful that WF doesn't have any predictability when it comes to graduating.  I'd keep the Wells, and apply for a BofA secured (the best in my view), which almost always graduates in 10 - 12 months.

Then, you can close the Wells after BofA graduates and get your deposit back.  Even if Wells graduates, they don't have any compelling rewards cards.

Message 13 of 24
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

This thread title has my vote already for "Title" of the year.

Couldn't agree with you more.  Wells Fargo Secured - No Good!  

I would agree with you that there may be better secured cards out there. BOA seems to be pretty popular. Some folks like Cap1 because it doesnt report as "secured" even though that one never fully graduates. but hey its a name brand secured card, and It was my first card starting with a 530. Now I have a much better score as well as an Amex, Discover, and a few other nice cards with nice limits. Totally did the job I wanted it to.

Message 14 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Couldn't agree with Open123 more.

WF secured has not ever been one of the top secured cards, and there's not much to their unsecured credit cards to write home about either.

I would likewise get a BOFA secured card in your situation in addition to the WF one. Having multiple tradelines is nothing but goodness and honestly the BOFA secured product is the best everyday card obtainable below 640 FICO once the rewards package is tacked on.

It is even better in the lower credit strata it can be obtained in too. Very much worth the inquiry when rebuilding is my opinion.

        
Message 15 of 24
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

The only reason I opened the WF was because I have bank account with them and just for convenience purpose. I'm gonna try for the BofA as well. Thank you for everyone's advice!!

Message 16 of 24
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Give_Me_Credit_Please wrote:

The only reason I opened the WF was because I have bank account with them and just for convenience purpose. I'm gonna try for the BofA as well. Thank you for everyone's advice!!

same here...have been with WF for 12 years. I actually have both a WF and BOA secured cc...doubled my chances...Smiley Happy

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 17 of 24
chrisst

Same for me as well. I'm actually going for BOA some time next month, I don't have time to put up with this stuff.

Message 18 of 24
chrisst

They said my credit was strong enough...or something like that. They encouraged me to wait until April and most likely I will graduate, so we'll see. Oh they mentioned that I had a charge off for $128 which was paid like 4 days after but still makes a difference..

Message 19 of 24
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Good Idea, it's not gonna hurt if anything it will help.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.