Wells Fargo app

tag
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo app

@bs6054 wrote:

@crazysxycool wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

Also, which Wells Fargo card were you applying for?   The ones I see on their site have fair rewards only for the first 6 months:

Earn triple rewards points on gas, grocery and drugstore net purchases1 for 6 months and 1 rewards point per $1 spent on all other net purchases all the time that can be redeemed for travel, cash rewards, gift cards,

and

Earn 3% cash back on gas, grocery and drugstore net purchases3 for 6 months and 1% cash back on all other net purchases all the time with no complicated calculations and no expiration date

I app'd for the Cash BackSM Card.  

Thanks, so that is the second thing I listed above.   After 6 months, this is just a basic 1% back card.  Given you have no current relationship with them, I was just wondering what the attraction is?  I guess for the first 6 months it's not bad.

Not really an attraction.  I'm closing 2 other cards with AFs and wanted to replace the cards.  I've already got most of the other primers so I wanted something different if that makes sense.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 22 of 24
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wells Fargo banker here.

Yes you had better have a checking account when applying for a credit card. Wells Fargo factors HEAVILY your relationship with us in these decisions especially checking account history and length. I was trained by a senior banke that has seen it all, and he told me the best way to get approved is to apply at the same time they are opening your checking account if you dont have one. WF is a very conservative bank when it comes to credit cards. We bank heavier on Mortgages and HELOC. With that being said, there is going to be a huge shift towards credit and new acquisitons starting in 2013 (similar to the way Chase operates their retail bank), so you may see a change in credit card products and or offers. Our credit cards arent that great we all know it, howveer they arent bad either.

3x Rewards points for 6 mo on grocery pharmacy and gas. Most people usually qualify for 6 mo no interest then 12-20% standard APR. Our free flights start at 25k (instead of 50k at some other banks). Also no annual fee.

System will automatically see if youre qualified for a Visa Signature and give you that if youre approved if not drop you down to the standard Visa Rewards without having to seperately app. There actually isnt even a way at this moment to app specifically for a Visa Signature if youre already a rewards visa customer with us!

Another note: Wells Fargo will decline if you're under 650 FICO on our standard credit cards and loan products

The easiest card to get approved for is any of our College Credit Cards. Ive seen kids with no credit getting approved for $500-$1200 as long as they dont have any or FEW inquiries. Ive applied people for these myself with great results. edited. The key is app must be submitted stating you are going to school FULL time or system will auto decline. 

Go down to a branch and apply. A banker submitting an app will help you out. edited

Secured card program is great: $300 minimum, graduates to unsecured automatically after a year of on time payments. Again, you must have a checking account for this credit card. Annual fee: $25.

And yes we are just like any other major retail bank: Service: 1A Sales: 1B

BTW even if you had an auto loan with us, if it went through the dealer it is most likely a Wells Fargo Dealer Services loan. For some reason these type of auto loans dont count much towards your relationship with us on the retail side. (I know weird). Particularly, we cant see these auto loan information in our systems on the retail side. On the teller side, we cant even take your car payments in our branches either which is strange because we can see and make teller payments for traditional auto loans (originated at a branch) and mortgages through WF. So I think thats why that auto loan relationship wasnt factored in when you applied... 

Hope this helps!

Good Luck 

Edited to remove an advocation of lying on a credit app. - llecs, myFICO moderator

Hello and thanks for your informative reply xwill04.  At this time, I've decided to pass on this card.  I have no interesting in opening any other accounts with Wells Fargo and definitely am not taking another hit on my credit report because my chances would be greater going into a branch.  This absolutely makes no sense to me but if it's Wells Fargo policy then so be it.  It's not a big deal - I just wanted to retain my credit lines for 2 other cards I'll be closing.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 24
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wells Fargo banker here.

Yes you had better have a checking account when applying for a credit card. Wells Fargo factors HEAVILY your relationship with us in these decisions especially checking account history and length. I was trained by a senior banke that has seen it all, and he told me the best way to get approved is to apply at the same time they are opening your checking account if you dont have one. WF is a very conservative bank when it comes to credit cards. We bank heavier on Mortgages and HELOC. With that being said, there is going to be a huge shift towards credit and new acquisitons starting in 2013 (similar to the way Chase operates their retail bank), so you may see a change in credit card products and or offers. Our credit cards arent that great we all know it, howveer they arent bad either.

3x Rewards points for 6 mo on grocery pharmacy and gas. Most people usually qualify for 6 mo no interest then 12-20% standard APR. Our free flights start at 25k (instead of 50k at some other banks). Also no annual fee.

System will automatically see if youre qualified for a Visa Signature and give you that if youre approved if not drop you down to the standard Visa Rewards without having to seperately app. There actually isnt even a way at this moment to app specifically for a Visa Signature if youre already a rewards visa customer with us!

Another note: Wells Fargo will decline if you're under 650 FICO on our standard credit cards and loan products

The easiest card to get approved for is any of our College Credit Cards. Ive seen kids with no credit getting approved for $500-$1200 as long as they dont have any or FEW inquiries. Ive applied people for these myself with great results. edited. The key is app must be submitted stating you are going to school FULL time or system will auto decline. 

Go down to a branch and apply. A banker submitting an app will help you out. edited

Secured card program is great: $300 minimum, graduates to unsecured automatically after a year of on time payments. Again, you must have a checking account for this credit card. Annual fee: $25.

And yes we are just like any other major retail bank: Service: 1A Sales: 1B

BTW even if you had an auto loan with us, if it went through the dealer it is most likely a Wells Fargo Dealer Services loan. For some reason these type of auto loans dont count much towards your relationship with us on the retail side. (I know weird). Particularly, we cant see these auto loan information in our systems on the retail side. On the teller side, we cant even take your car payments in our branches either which is strange because we can see and make teller payments for traditional auto loans (originated at a branch) and mortgages through WF. So I think thats why that auto loan relationship wasnt factored in when you applied... 

Hope this helps!

Good Luck 

Edited to remove an advocation of lying on a credit app. - llecs, myFICO moderator

I strongly object to your suggestions to "beef up" your stated income on a credit card app. Also, I object to  "making up" any college to app for a student CC. There is a name for this: fraud.
It boggles my mind that you represent yourself as a Wells Fargo Banker and encourage fraudulent loan applications. You do realize that people doing this are committiing a federal felony?

I have banked at WF for over 39 years and have had zero problems with them. They were also my first re-entry in the credit world after having increasing difficulty using a debit card for car rentals and hotels.
However, they did not automatically graduate my card after 12 months but on the 18 month mark.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.