cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo application - no credit pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo application - no credit pull?

Okay, I know WF isn't discussed much on these boards. The only reason I can think of is that their rewards are pretty crappy averaging about 1% across the board as far as I can see. However, after using my BofA BankAmericard, even with a 1.25 point return, the redemption makes it really crappy. Like something like 5000 points for $25 or getting a wee bit more by collecting by way of gift cards, it still doesn't give me any type of decent dollar for dollar return.

Rather than take on the Kohl's card for the coupons (which by the way I signed up for their email coupons and I'm bombarded with nice deals as well, granted they aren't stackable, but at some point in time, Kohl's will run out of items that I really *want* for my house and I won't use the card much anymore) - I figured I'd apply for the WF Home Rebate Rewards card. Straight 1% back on every purchase that gets applied to the principal on my mortgage. Every $2500 I spend (easily every 1-2 months for me and more so with home renovations now) the rewards are automatically credited to my mortgage account.  To me, it's more of a reward than redeeming for gift cards I really don't want and no hassle, just an nice little way to pay my loan off. (I've already made my first payment plus $200 extra towards principal and my first payment isn't due until June 1st. - this 30 year WILL wind up being a 15 year loan if I can help it!)

Okay, after all my blabbering, here's my question...I did the application through a link that showed up on my online mortgage account. When I clicked on it, they had prefilled a lot of the information out for me already, but when I submitted I did not get an instant decision. I didn't get a denial either, just got a screen that said they needed to verify some information. Fair enough. There was a # to call and check application status, I called and offered to verify any information they needed and the rep told me that everything look good and it looked like it was processing. So, I asked, ""Oh, so was it approved then?" He responded by telling me he didn't have information and I should have an answering 2-3 days. This was yesterday. BUT, this morning I pulled my 3 in 1 monitoring and there is NO inquiry on my reports. Huh?  Surely they aren't using the information they have int he system from my mortgage application? I suppose they could have softed me, but don't feel like going through the trouble of checking all 3 reports. Could they really be considering my applicaiton with NO credit pull? 

Very strange.  After googling I found that they seem to be pretty hard to get approved for - so maybe I'm getting declined and they didn't even pull again. Wish I would have searched for that first. Just really thought for me, this would be a good fit with having my mortgage through them and applied last night.

Anyone one here know anything about WF cards? Ever heard of them accepting application for CC but without a pull?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo application - no credit pull?

Last fall I looked at the Wells Fargo Prime Rate Visa (which they appear to no longer offer) and it looked like WFC pulls EX for their CC app's, 

I agree, the inq should show up within a day or two of the app,  however, I refi'd my truck last Thursday with PenFed and EQ still hasn't shown an inq for that so here I sit waiting on it to show,,,

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Last fall I looked at the Wells Fargo Prime Rate Visa (which they appear to no longer offer) and it looked like WFC pulls EX for their CC app's, 

I agree, the inq should show up within a day or two of the app,  however, I refi'd my truck last Thursday with PenFed and EQ still hasn't shown an inq for that so here I sit waiting on it to show,,,

Hey thanks for the info. on who they pull. Great, EX. I swear everything I've ever applied for (with exception of Penfed) pulls EX. 

This is the first time I've ever applied for anything the inquiry didn't show up instantly. Everythign I've ever done creditwise has always shown up in real time. 

The reason your penfed pull may not have been done yet is because penfed is known to do everything manually, unless you accepted a preapproved offer from the online account screen. So, they may not actually pull your credit until the credit department looks at your paperwork, etc. first. Also, if you applied for your membership with PenFed within either the last 60-90 days, they may use the same pull as your membership on your truck refi.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone one here know anything about WF cards? Ever heard of them accepting application for CC but without a pull?

As weird as it may sound: Although I have a WF card, I don't know anything about them. They gave me my first unsecured card when I didn't have any credit. I'm sure I didn't exist for the credit bureaus at that time, but WF knew that I pay my stuff.

Generally, everything with them takes its time. If you want anything, you might get connected to different people 5 times over. You think you resolved the issue, and they might do something - or not. If not, you can start over again next time. I would characterize them as modestly helpful if you show enough persistence. They never pulled any tricks on me, though.

As far as the credit card goes, they just changed it when they saw fit, until I had a signature card (which reports a limit). There was never any input from my side.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As weird as it may sound: Although I have a WF card, I don't know anything about them. They gave me my first unsecured card when I didn't have any credit. I'm sure I didn't exist for the credit bureaus at that time, but WF knew that I pay my stuff.

Generally, everything with them takes its time. If you want anything, you might get connected to different people 5 times over. You think you resolved the issue, and they might do something - or not. If not, you can start over again next time. I would characterize them as modestly helpful if you show enough persistence. They never pulled any tricks on me, though.

As far as the credit card goes, they just changed it when they saw fit, until I had a signature card (which reports a limit). There was never any input from my side.

Thanks for your feedback on the customer service Ulan. I'm hoping I'll be okay, as I'm fairly low maintenance, I use my cards and PIF, so it's less likely that I'll have to deal with them for much. I have read very mixed reviews on their customer service, some say it's great, but most seem to think it's stinks. Again, I just wanted to get the card for the $ to go my mortgage principal. Still nothing yet. When I call the app line to check status it still wanted to send me to customer service, I hung up though. No sense in bothering them again if the guy said it's "processing". Just don't know if it's processing a decline or a new account. Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 29
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I'll just chime in with my personal experience with WF.  When opening my original checking package they did an inquiry on EX, later when I applied for overdraft protection (line of credit) they pulled both TU and EX.  Last October when I applied for the secured CC, they again pulled TU and EX.  This is actually great for me because my EQ is the garbage report with +2 baddies than the other two =P.  I'm also located in Minnesota if that is of any importance.  I'd be pretty doubtful that they wouldn't hard you for a CC application but who knows, how old are your most recently pulled reports?

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vonmannstein wrote:

I'll just chime in with my personal experience with WF.  When opening my original checking package they did an inquiry on EX, later when I applied for overdraft protection (line of credit) they pulled both TU and EX.  Last October when I applied for the secured CC, they again pulled TU and EX.  This is actually great for me because my EQ is the garbage report with +2 baddies than the other two =P.  I'm also located in Minnesota if that is of any importance.  I'd be pretty doubtful that they wouldn't hard you for a CC application but who knows, how old are your most recently pulled reports?

Thanks for that.  Sheesh that is a lot of pulling they did on you!  I would be doubtful that they wouldn't hard for a CC either, that's why I don't understand why nothing is showing up yet - but they claim to be processing my application. It's very strange.  My most recent report is from 90 days ago from my mortgage app. 

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, still no credit pull showing on reports.
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning,  I don't mean to tread jack,  I received an alert this morning that PenFed pulled TU for my refi from last week, yesterday, A TU pull was good for me since it is my highest score and I only have 4inq's, (well 5 now),,, 

I hope PF doesn't decide double-dip and pull EQ now,

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good morning,  I don't mean to tread jack,  I received an alert this morning that PenFed pulled TU for my refi from last week, yesterday, A TU pull was good for me since it is my highest score and I only have 4inq's, (well 5 now),,, 

I hope PF doesn't decide double-dip and pull EQ now,

Oh...you wait for the alerts? I wonder if that's why it seems that the inquiries take so long for you. I always pull my new reports right away through my credit monitoring and they are always there right away - that's why this is weird for me.

I hope Penfed doesn't double dip on you, too. Hopefully they found what they needed on your TU report and they won't pull another. Maybe it was benefical since it was higher than your EQ. I think I heard that sometimes PenFed or others will pull a report from another bureau if they are teetering on your app or they feel they want to see just a wee bit more about ya. So, maybe that's all they were doing.

Good luck!!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.