Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo - bad experience

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo - bad experience

So I received a preapproval 24 months 0% balance transfer offer from BarclaysCard if finalized within the first 45 days. Applied and approved for 5k. Asked for CLI, immediately  increased to 15k. After a few days I initiated a BT of about 12k through the website and gave them my Wells Fargo Visa Account number (with a 5 Dollar balance). Reason being:  this is tied to a WF checking account, so I thought I could transfer the BT to my WF checking account and pay off a few miscellaneous smaller credit balances. Everything went smooth: money showed up at WF and the credit card showed a credit balance of 11995. When I tried to transfer to the WF checking account the system warned about the fees (because the transfer would be treated as a cash advance). So after a few days I walked into my WF branch and asked them to transfer the credit balance to my WF checking account and cited some (actual) .gov websites after I sensed initial pushback. Escalated to a manager who promised to help and initiate the transfer. Said, it would take a few days because they would have to make sure everything is legit due to the amount. I said sure why not. 2 weeks later the money disappeared from the WF credit card account, but never showed up on the WF checking account. One day, two days, three days, money still gone, not shown up anywhere, secure message to WF: their response: money was returned to the originating account. Immediate phone call trying to find out why was answered: we don't know. The reason is not provided in our computer system. But don't worry: within 10 business days the money should show up somehow somewhere. At the very last of the 10 days it really showed up again on back my Barclays card account. Unfortunately the 45 day period since account opening was over in the meantime, so I could not retry (asked Barclays if they would reinstate, they offered their standard 14.99%). Contacted Wells Fargo again to inquire **bleep** went wrong. At first they said yadda yadda, then they said fear of money laundering... When I said, I understand your concerns, but you never gave me a chance to prove that these funds were legit, they changed the story to "its explained in the t's and c's" - my question to where specifically was answered with " eehh..we will send a letter" . 2 weeks later received a BS letter from WF, stating that the account number was incorrect... Have moved my business away from WF and haven't used my newly opened Barclay card ever since. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo - bad experience

What's the point? If you had just initiated the BT's from Barclay's you could have avoided the headache, no? 

@Anonymous wrote:

So I received a preapproval 24 months 0% balance transfer offer from BarclaysCard if finalized within the first 45 days. Applied and approved for 5k. Asked for CLI, immediately  increased to 15k. After a few days I initiated a BT of about 12k through the website and gave them my Wells Fargo Visa Account number (with a 5 Dollar balance). Reason being:  this is tied to a WF checking account, so I thought I could transfer the BT to my WF checking account and pay off a few miscellaneous smaller credit balances. Everything went smooth: money showed up at WF and the credit card showed a credit balance of 11995. When I tried to transfer to the WF checking account the system warned about the fees (because the transfer would be treated as a cash advance). So after a few days I walked into my WF branch and asked them to transfer the credit balance to my WF checking account and cited some (actual) .gov websites after I sensed initial pushback. Escalated to a manager who promised to help and initiate the transfer. Said, it would take a few days because they would have to make sure everything is legit due to the amount. I said sure why not. 2 weeks later the money disappeared from the WF credit card account, but never showed up on the WF checking account. One day, two days, three days, money still gone, not shown up anywhere, secure message to WF: their response: money was returned to the originating account. Immediate phone call trying to find out why was answered: we don't know. The reason is not provided in our computer system. But don't worry: within 10 business days the money should show up somehow somewhere. At the very last of the 10 days it really showed up again on back my Barclays card account. Unfortunately the 45 day period since account opening was over in the meantime, so I could not retry (asked Barclays if they would reinstate, they offered their standard 14.99%). Contacted Wells Fargo again to inquire **bleep** went wrong. At first they said yadda yadda, then they said fear of money laundering... When I said, I understand your concerns, but you never gave me a chance to prove that these funds were legit, they changed the story to "its explained in the t's and c's" - my question to where specifically was answered with " eehh..we will send a letter" . 2 weeks later received a BS letter from WF, stating that the account number was incorrect... Have moved my business away from WF and haven't used my newly opened Barclay card ever since. 

Message 2 of 14
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Sorry you missed out on your BT. I'm not aware of any banks that allow you to transfer funds from your credit account to a deposit account unless it was in a form of a cash back reward. It seems like they count non-purchase transactions on your credit account as cash advances.

You probably would have better luck asking Barclays to send you some BT checks then deposit to your account. Another alternative would be paying your other bills with Barlcay's BT. 

Message 3 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about the troubles OP, I guess a learning experience.

The better choice would have been to just take three of the larger Other Credit Cards and BT them directly through the Barclays offer. The whole "convert to cash" thing, as pointed out, unless explicitly set up as a cash deposit, raises red flags. A credit card with a large customer credit isn't normal.

I would suggest WF is not the issue here; the transaction attempt was something they could not legally handle, and no bank could legally handle it, so WF is in the clear. I say no bank could leagally handle it because it exceeds $10k, the amount all banks are required to report to the Feds when a large deposit occurs. Consider the bank report: Feds worksheet: "Describe for us the source of the funds your customer obtained for deposit" WF: "Um, he got a large negative amount on his credit card somehow and we were trying to give him cash for it?" Bank examiner, seeing a two week examination opportunity: "Please provide the entire history tracing the money to it's source".

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a matter of fact I am not at all blaming Barclays, and WF only so much as to not properly explaining what was going on, and not providing any legitimate reason why they returned the money without at least trying to work with me. Lesson learnt I guess... I did have a plan B in place and didn't really need that BT, just thinking what would have been if I would have really been dependent on that BT. That's why I thought I'd share with the community.
Message 5 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Banks are and have been extremely cautious with anything that remotely looks suspicious since 2008. In most cases there is no opportunity for explanation and the bank take unilateral action (as they did with you). At the end of the day they're going to look out for themselves. I do understand what you were trying to do and sorry it didn't materialize the way you were hoping.
Message 6 of 14
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I'm surprised Barclays let you do a BT of that amount to an account with a $5 balance, but I suppose they have no way of knowing what the balance will be
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 7 of 14
bobbay
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Banks are and have been extremely cautious with anything that remotely looks suspicious since 2008. In most cases there is no opportunity for explanation and the bank take unilateral action (as they did with you). At the end of the day they're going to look out for themselves. I do understand what you were trying to do and sorry it didn't materialize the way you were hoping.

google "wells fargo aml" it is more of an audit item for this than anything else

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 8 of 14
bobbay
Established Contributor

FYI, to do this you would have needed to put your cheching account info in for the BT and use the central processing address they have listed.  This is how I have done this.

@Anonymous wrote:

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 9 of 14
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the troubles OP, I guess a learning experience.

The better choice would have been to just take three of the larger Other Credit Cards and BT them directly through the Barclays offer. The whole "convert to cash" thing, as pointed out, unless explicitly set up as a cash deposit, raises red flags. A credit card with a large customer credit isn't normal.

I would suggest WF is not the issue here; the transaction attempt was something they could not legally handle, and no bank could legally handle it, so WF is in the clear. I say no bank could leagally handle it because it exceeds $10k, the amount all banks are required to report to the Feds when a large deposit occurs. Consider the bank report: Feds worksheet: "Describe for us the source of the funds your customer obtained for deposit" WF: "Um, he got a large negative amount on his credit card somehow and we were trying to give him cash for it?" Bank examiner, seeing a two week examination opportunity: "Please provide the entire history tracing the money to it's source".

This is incorrect in terms of reporting cash transactions of 10K or more.  This applies only to cash (the green stuff) and travelers' checks.  If banks had to report electronic transfers between accounts that were 10K or more they would do nothing but write reports all day long.  This was not a cash transfer.  Had OP walked into the branch and received 10K in hundred dollar bills from his credit card with a credit balance, that would be reported.

Money laundering is the concern with large overpayments on accounts.  Most lenders will allow, at most, a 10% overpayment on a credit card before rejecting it.  This is 10% over and above the current balance.

http://www.amlabc.com/aml-category/aml-basics/some-hypothetical-cases-of-credit-cards-abused-for-mon...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.