Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo coming out with new Amex Propel Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo coming out with new Amex Propel Card

Same rewards structure as their Propel 365 with a key differences:

3X points at U.S. Gas Stations, 2X points at U.S. Restaurants, and 1X point on all other net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits)2

No annual fee

3% Foreign transaction fee

Points expire after 5 years

No bonus sign up

Design will be the same as propel 365 but horses will be colored bronze instead.

thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Wells Fargo coming out with new Amex Propel Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Same rewards structure as their Propel 365 with a key differences:

3X points at U.S. Gas Stations, 2X points at U.S. Restaurants, and 1X point on all other net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits)2

No annual fee

3% Foreign transaction fee

Points expire after 5 years

No bonus sign up

Design will be the same as propel 365 but horses will be colored bronze instead.

thoughts?

I'm probably not their target customer, but at the risk of sounding negative this seems like just another 'meh' card from Wells. 

Other than the 3X points at gas stations - which isn't that flashy - the card isn't any better than a Venture other than a slightly lower AF ($45).  I would actually prefer the Venture, since Capital One is known for being generous with credit lines (Wells, not so much...) and a Venture will be accepted almost anywhere, while the new Wells card will be limited by the Amex network.  Add in the 3% ForEx fees and no sign-up bonus, and Venture is a clear winner, if you're comparing the two.

If Wells could do away with the AF it could at least 'hold it's own', but at this point it seems like Wells Fargo is still just "phoning it it" with their card offerings.

Message 2 of 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

The best thing about the propel card is its looks. The rewards are ok, nothing to write home about by any means. Take their regular rewards cash back cards, they have a pretty solid rewards structure, but it's only good for the first six months, then it's 1% on everything after that. Make those initial rewards permanent and you have yourself a competitive card, but nope, not conservative tight wad Wells Fargo. 

Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@creditguy wrote:

The best thing about the propel card is its looks. The rewards are ok, nothing to write home about by any means. Take their regular rewards cash back cards, they have a pretty solid rewards structure, but it's only good for the first six months, then it's 1% on everything after that. Make those initial rewards permanent and you have yourself a competitive card, but nope, not conservative tight wad Wells Fargo. 

+1

And to make it even less desirable, you have to redeem the 'points' in 2500 increments, to get a $25 reward.  Since the points do eventually expire, the clock is always ticking, literally. 

I use Wells for my secondary checking account (for local cash deposits/withdrawals) and I'm generally pleased with them.  If they would come out with a competitive credit card I would probably take them up on it.  Whenever I have to call about something (which isn't very often) they usually try to sell me a Visa account, but unless they can do better than their current offerings I have to keep saying say no.  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@creditguy wrote:

The best thing about the propel card is its looks. The rewards are ok, nothing to write home about by any means. Take their regular rewards cash back cards, they have a pretty solid rewards structure, but it's only good for the first six months, then it's 1% on everything after that. Make those initial rewards permanent and you have yourself a competitive card, but nope, not conservative tight wad Wells Fargo. 

+1

And to make it even less desirable, you have to redeem the 'points' in 2500 increments, to get a $25 reward.  Since the points do eventually expire, the clock is always ticking, literally. 

I use Wells for my secondary checking account (for local cash deposits/withdrawals) and I'm generally pleased with them.  If they would come out with a competitive credit card I would probably take them up on it.  Whenever I have to call about something (which isn't very often) they usually try to sell me a Visa account, but unless they can do better than their current offerings I have to keep saying say no.  Smiley Sad

Agreed, I too have a Wells Fargo checking as a secondary account, I have had it 16 years and I've never once considered applying for any of their cards, initially it was because I figured they'd never approve me with their conservative UW, then later on it was because their cards just sucked. Thankfully I've never had to call them and get a sales pitch, but I get an email at least twice a month for cards, no thanks. But like you said if they had better or more competitive offerings I'd give it some consideration. With the exception of their secured card, you don't really see too many Wells Fargo threads around here, hmmm coincidence? :Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like their answer to Costco TE came 12 years too late.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.