Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo secure card not graduating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo secure card not graduating

I've banked with Wells Fargo since the late 90s, and in the last 5 years have consistently maintained a "healthy" checking and savings balance.

So in trying to rebuild my credit + scores in the last 1.5 years, I spoke to a local branch account guy at Wells, and he said the best thing to do is setup a secure credit card. Basically said if you make payments on time and keep utilization in check that "it will graduate to a regular card in a year or less"

Some 15 months later, and making EVERY payment 1-2 days early and never exceeding 9-10% utilization on the card, there is no offer to graduate the card.

By contrast, 1 week after getting this Wells secured card, I got a Cap One Platinum....Used the same payment approach as I did for the Wells secure card, and Cap One bumped my credit limit from $1000 to $1500 after less than 6 months. 

So I'm wondering why hasn't Wells Fargo made an offer to graduate the card?

I've spoken to Wells twice in the last week, and they say there are no plans to graduate my card - even with all of my positives listed above - they just said that I can add money to secured card...When I mention my experience with Cap One, they just read from a script saying "we routinely look at accounts and may look at mine in the future, blah blah blah...."

This is not a huge deal, but the whole reason I agreed to getting the secured card was to have it graduate, as suggested by my local branch.

Question is, what else can I do to expedite this, or do I dump the card and apply for a regular one from a different institution?

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.