Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo secured card

tag
arredondo3417
Valued Member

Wells Fargo secured card

Is the wells Fargo secured a good card to start credit I would like to start credit with them but I'm not sure if I would aprove for the secured card that they offer I'm not a customer of wells Fargo does anyone know the requirements and if this card is worth it ????
Seedling:
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo secured card

@arredondo3417 wrote:
Is the wells Fargo secured a good card to start credit I would like to start credit with them but I'm not sure if I would aprove for the secured card that they offer I'm not a customer of wells Fargo does anyone know the requirements and if this card is worth it ????

I started with them and a Capital One rebuilder card ($39 annual fee) within a month of each other.  WF has a well deserved reputation for not graduating cards over the last few years.  Mine is approaching 2 years, and while they did recently raise my CL with no extra deposit and added rewards - it is still a secured card.  WF still holds my deposit.  However, it is one of the most affordable at $25 per year (they just raised it, was 18 before).  Most of the others are $39 and up.  If you don't mind tying up your money for an unknown amount of time, they are a good way to get in the door of a prime lender.  The Citi card used to be an OK one, but it seems to be hard to get approved for.  

If I were to do it all over again, I would get one secured card from any of the main prime lenders that would approve me (Wells Fargo, B of A, US Bank, Citi) build history for a year or two and then replace it when I qualified for a better card.  I do not like leaving good sums of money tied-up in low to no yield accounts for long periods of time, but as always YMMV.  

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 2 of 3
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo secured card

@baronofthenorth wrote:

@arredondo3417 wrote:

I started with them and a Capital One rebuilder card ($39 annual fee) within a month of each other.  WF has a well deserved reputation for not graduating cards over the last few years.  Mine is approaching 2 years, and while they did recently raise my CL with no extra deposit and added rewards - it is still a secured card.  WF still holds my deposit.  However, it is one of the most affordable at $25 per year (they just raised it, was 18 before).  Most of the others are $39 and up.  If you don't mind tying up your money for an unknown amount of time, they are a good way to get in the door of a prime lender.  The Citi card used to be an OK one, but it seems to be hard to get approved for.  

If I were to do it all over again, I would get one secured card from any of the main prime lenders that would approve me (Wells Fargo, B of A, US Bank, Citi) build history for a year or two and then replace it when I qualified for a better card.  I do not like leaving good sums of money tied-up in low to no yield accounts for long periods of time, but as always YMMV.  

+1

I think it's time for you to let that secured card go Baron. 2 years is plenty on a secured card, get your money back and put it to use!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.