Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo sucks

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo sucks

Well, in keeping things family friendly I'l just say Wells Fargo is a hard bank to like as a customer. I banked with them for 10 years, closed my accounts in 2010. I had checking & retirement accounts with them. My IRA 18 month CD matured and they automatically rolled it over to their shortest CD, 6 months, paying only 1/10th of 1%, so I called and told them No, I want another 18 month CD paying over 1%, and was told I needed to come into a branch to do that. I told them the nearest branch was over an hour away; didn't matter I needed to come into a branch to change the CD term. So, I went to a branch, and told them "Close all my accounts and give me all my money". Their final insult was a $25 fee to close a checking account that had been opened for 10+ years, they have always been one fee happy bank.

I decided to try them again in January when they offered $250 for new accounts, and moved part of my income to them - $500/mo. in DD to avoid any fees. Yes OP, can easily add external accounts for moving $$$ to & from WF, it's under "Transfer and Pay" at the top - I have a couple external accounts connected, WF will do 2 trial deposits to confirm the account. And no, there's no fee to transfer $$$ from WF to an external account as long as it's under $500 per transfer - I just transferred $300 from WF to Penfed yesterday, as I prepare to close my WF account an move that banking to Penfed as Penfed has much better CCs and other credit products. Wells Fargo does have attractive $200 spend bonus for 3 mo. $1k spend on most CCs right now, if you're willing to take the HP (EX) & new account for the spend bonus & churn, but for a long term term CC look elsewhere..

Message 11 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I had a Wells Fargo retail card. I had no trouble setting up a payment account or making payments. My gripe was that the payments would rountinely be held for up to two weeks before my limit was restored. The only other bank I've ever had that issue with was Synchrony. But at least Synchrony could tell me how to avoid the holds. Wells Fargo said that was "proprietary" information. The customer service reps were fine. Unfortunately, they had to work with the hand that they were dealt.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

May be user education issue.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if your issue was the same as mine, but I quickly learned that the reason I initially couldn't setup a payment account was because you first need a charge to post before you're allowed to do so for some reason. After an actual charge posts to your account, you should then be able to add a payment account.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.