Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wellsfargo Credit Card Declined.

tag
RonDawg
Contributor

Wellsfargo Credit Card Declined.

Anyone ever heard of this?... Today I applied online for a Wellsfargo Visa Credit Card.  This was a prequalifed offer from them.  I then got the message "Application Pending Review"  So I called the number provided to hear I had been declined now this is what is funny the message said "Declined due to not having a relationship with the bank" So I spoke with a customer care person and I asked him if I had to have a checking account with Wellsfargo before I could get a credit card from them and he stated that I didn't need a checking account to have a credit card from them.  He then pulled up my application, I stated that I heard I was declined due to not have a relationship with the bank and he stated that was correct.  I stated I received this offer due to having had an auto loan through them. I said so your saying that my auto loan was not a relationship with your bank? He stated that it was not the kind of relationship they were looking for. I said well I have plenty of credit cards with other banks and he said he could see that but that was not enough, though he wouldn't tell me what relationship I had to have with them to get a credit card.  I thanked him and hung up.  I just thought I would share this too see if anyone else has ran into this.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Wellsfargo Credit Card Declined.

You need a deposit (checking/saving) account to open WF CC online and telephone. I believe you can open one without deposit account at the branch.

Message 2 of 21
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I had to open a savings account with them by mail prior to being even able to app for their secured card. The whole process took about 3 weeks as they don't have any branches near me.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 21
MrCredit
Established Contributor

They are mediocre in the credit card world anyway, there are better cards out there. I would try BOA.

Message 4 of 21
RonDawg
Contributor

Then why the heck would he not just tell me that, I asked him if I needed a checking account and he said no.  Now the prequalified offer never stated anything about having to have a relationship with the bank at all. I read the Terms and conditions very close.  I looked through the entire offer. Sounds a little deceptive, I mean its their choice if they want me as their customer or not but at the same time the reason for the decline was just kind of stupid. Never even heard of such a thing.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
Message 5 of 21
MrCredit
Established Contributor

They suck as a bank, credit card company, whatever!

I would not bank with them if they paid me. They suck. Period. Enough said. 

A auto loan is a relationship so I do not understand their logic either.

Message 6 of 21
RonDawg
Contributor

Goodness, they must suck to decline due to the reason they stated. Waste of a hard pull, I was like um what just happened??

@MrCredit wrote:

They suck as a bank, credit card company, whatever!

I would not bank with them if they paid me. They suck. Period. Enough said. 

A auto loan is a relationship so I do not understand their logic either.

o.O  

Message 7 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

WF prefers a deposit account of some sort with them to approve you for ANY credit card, however, once you open a deposit account, they'll pretty much approve you for any card so long as you dont have a BK or any other negs on your reports. 

Message 8 of 21
stevenngu92
Contributor

you most likely do need a checking or savings account with wells fargo (sucks how they make it a requirement of some sort). mrcredit is right though, you're not missing much from the credit card as there are better ones out there. If my wells fargo credit card wasn't my oldest line, i'd close it.

Amazon Store Card ($6000) Amex BCE ($10000) Amex PRG (NPSL) BofA Better Balance Rewards ($3000) Best Buy Store Card ($5000) Chase Freedom ($2500) Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7900) Citi Prestige ($5000) Discover It ($10500) Walmart Discover ($6000) Wells Fargo CB ($4700)
Message 9 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Even before you start the application it says you need to have a relationship with them, or you have to apply at a branch.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.