Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wellsfargo Credit Card Declined.

tag
RonDawg
Contributor

Re: Wellsfargo Credit Card Declined.

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Even before you start the application it says you need to have a relationship with them, or you have to apply at a branch.

I didn't apply by design I was invited to apply different story, No place on the invite did it say I had had to have a relationship with the bank. Trust me I read the thing up and down top to bottom.  I read the card terms and conditions. Oh well their loss. I don't think I will open a deposit account with them to get them to change their mind. I have to say that is a dumb requirement.  What upsets me is that rep telling me on the phone I didn't need a checking or savings account to get the card but that my auto loan was not good enough, he said he needed an account that showed proof of payments made a good relationship, he spoke to me like I was some kind of kid and he was teaching me the ins and outs of credit.   You know he never did tell me what kind of account I needed even though I asked him.  I did hang up the phone thinking.. um what just happened?.  My take... They invited me to join their credit card club but once I filled out the application to join they said you can't join your not already a member.  Its just retarded.  The whole event I swear caused me to lose IQ points.

Again oh well... Move on to much better things leaving this retarded event in the past.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 11 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

RonDawg wrote

I didn't apply by design I was invited to apply different story, No place on the invite did it say I had had to have a relationship with the bank. Trust me I read the thing up and down top to bottom.  I read the card terms and conditions. Oh well their loss. I don't think I will open a deposit account with them to get them to change their mind. I have to say that is a dumb requirement.  What upsets me is that rep telling me on the phone I didn't need a checking or savings account to get the card but that my auto loan was not good enough, he said he needed an account that showed proof of payments made a good relationship, he spoke to me like I was some kind of kid and he was teaching me the ins and outs of credit.   You know he never did tell me what kind of account I needed even though I asked him.  I did hang up the phone thinking.. um what just happened?.  My take... They invited me to join their credit card club but once I filled out the application to join they said you can't join your not already a member.  Its just retarded.  The whole event I swear caused me to lose IQ points.

Again oh well... Move on to much better things leaving this retarded event in the past.

Okay, sorry for doubting you. I know very few banks require you to have an account to open an account, but Wells Fargo is one of the big four, so I would not expect it from them. It is indeed weird the representative was misinformed of such a basic question. However, as others have said, their cards are nothing to get excited about. I think they did you a favor.

Message 12 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I tried to app a loooong time ago, and the only system wouldn't even let me app for a cred card bc I didnt have a checking account w them. Haha try Chase
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 13 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Or Amex or Discover. WF has been known to disciminate in lending as well as fraudulent mortgage related things.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Or Amex or Discover. WF has been known to disciminate in lending as well as fraudulent mortgage related things.
If that is your reasoning then AMEX should be avoided as well, since AMEX got nailed by CFPB for discrimination based on age.
Message 15 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah but age discrimination isn't explicity prohibited as far as I know... WF discriminated based on race, which is completely unethical. The fact is...we all know this: typically, older people have better credit histories.

Furthermore, Amex wasn't really involved in mortgage backed securities, nor is Amex one of the top three mortgage lenders in the US; I'm just agreeing with the ops that the op shouldn't be so down that a mediocre, modrately questionable, credit card lender turned him/her down for such a silly reason....

:-)

Message 16 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I totes support the CFPB btw... I love Elizabeth Warren; looks like she will prob win Massachusettes (sp) !!!!

:-)
Message 17 of 21
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Yeah but age discrimination isn't explicity prohibited as far as I know... WF discriminated based on race, which is completely unethical. The fact is...we all know this: typically, older people have better credit histories.

Actually discrimination by age IS prohibited. Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits discrimination by age, race, religion, sex, etc when it comes to credit. It is written in the law.

I understand your reasoning but it is a flawed one. Chase and BofA got caught for robo-signing. I'm confident that every financial institution in the world have or had engaged shady business practice. So the notion to avoid one because one is shady is flawed. There is no perfect, role model financial institution.

Message 18 of 21
Cesarlopez
Established Member

Wells Fargo destroyed my life! I fought them for over 11 years to get my identity back. In 1999 Norwest Bank and Wells Fargo merged. I logged to my internet banking and noticed that I had an account opened with $11,000 in it and called the bank. Once the bank realized that they had a choice between me and this other person named Cesar Lopez (not my real name) they chose him. They actually told me that my Social Security number was fake.

They closed my account and ignored letters from the Social Security Administration. I couldn't get credit anywhere and soon my life started to fall apart (divorce, alimony, child care & more)

Fast forward 11 years later and I still couldn't get credit anywhere... I couldn't even open a bank account. I went back to Wells Fargo as I had been doing for over 11 years and demanded they fix what they had done wrong years ago. I presented them all my personal information this time, my birth Certificate, My Passport & Card, My Drivers License (Commercial with Hazmat Endorsements issued by the Federal Goverment) a Lease and utility bills.

They were shocked! Over the years I had created a huge file folder of evidence... I had all his addresses and account numbers. I had a matching report from a Social Security report showing we were using the same number and they confirmed that this person had been allowed to purchase a home using my Social Security number. So not only had my identity been stolen. Wells Fargo had assisted him in doing it. He had only opened his account with them months before I originally notified them in 1999.

I had even filed police reports in two different states and even went as far as working with ICE to resolve this. Only after sending letters to the CEO and going into Wells Fargo every day did I get my identity back. But Wells Fargo admittedly was at fault here. I finally got a letter from the fraud department saying that I was who I said I was. And Wells Fargo changed the other persons SS number to a ITEN number.

So... I hate Wells Fargo ! Smiley Happy Get a different card.

Not really Cesar Lopez... he is me.

I

CAP1 Venture $3k & No Hassel $750 / Discover More 2.5k / AMEX ZYNC NPSL & Delta 2k / FirstTech CU Visa 2k / USAA AMEX 1k / Sam's 2.2k / Amazon 1.9k / Walmart $800 /
Message 19 of 21
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

This is the reason I switch from wells fargo to Chase. They asked me why I am closing checking/saving. I said, you guys won't give me any credit card. He said, let me see if you have any offer. I told him NO CREDIT pull, he said oh no, it's base on recent softpull.

After looking at his screen, he said I am offered SECURED Card. I told him why would I need to do that? Chase offer me one with no RELATIONSHIP.

My relationship with wells fargo:

8 years of house payment from wachovia, NEVER LATE.

5 years of car payment, 4 payment left, NEVER LATE

My checking account/saving since 2008.

No baddies, no BK. This was last month before I went app crazy.

What would you do?

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.