cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went Over The Limit By $12 On Accident...

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

Went Over The Limit By $12 On Accident...

I went over the limit by $12 on accident on my Chase Freedom card with a $500 limit.

Im so careful with it ubt i just messed up and miscalculated what limit I had left. I pay in full every month but its hard to keep track of such a low limit since you hit it so fast!

I've been trying to be perfect with this card to hopefully induce a CLI but did i jsut screw that up now? I paid it within about an hour of it going over and no adverse action was taken against me but its showing on my credit report now on the "High Credit Limit" section...

Should I write a goodwill or something or will it not really matter as far as me getting a CLI for my Chase Freedom card?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Went Over The Limit By $12 On Accident...

If Chase doesn't charge an over-limit fee, I wouldn't worry about it.  I doubt you did anything to hurt future CLI request chances.  If an over-limit fee does appear, I would recommend calling and asking for a GW fee waiver, otherwise you're fine.

Message 2 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

nah i contacted them right after i noticed it and they basically said like nothing will happen...its just showing on the credit report now nad it bothers me...havent had a bad mark since 2009.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a high balance on your credit report that's higher than your reported credit limit doesn't really mean anything score wise.  You shouldn't consider it a bad mark in any way.  I mean, somebody could bring it up on a manual review, but it's pretty easily explainable with a $500 limit, especially if you routinely pay in full.  I mean, that can happen frequently, like if someone gets a credit limit decrease, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Message 4 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

K good...i just dont want it to trigger some red flag black list thing in their computers that give auto CLI's...

Message 5 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

I went over the limit by $12 on accident on my Chase Freedom card with a $500 limit.

Im so careful with it ubt i just messed up and miscalculated what limit I had left. I pay in full every month but its hard to keep track of such a low limit since you hit it so fast!

I've been trying to be perfect with this card to hopefully induce a CLI but did i jsut screw that up now? I paid it within about an hour of it going over and no adverse action was taken against me but its showing on my credit report now on the "High Credit Limit" section...

Should I write a goodwill or something or will it not really matter as far as me getting a CLI for my Chase Freedom card?

They won't care, and as long as you opted out of overlimit protection there will be no fee.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 6 of 16
beb86
Valued Contributor

as far as your CR is concerned there is no "balance memory" and even though it may show a high balance as soon as your statement cuts next month that reflects the payment you made to get it under the limit and it updates to your CRAs you current balance will reflect as such and you should be ok.......I mean some cards will allow you to go over the limit so its not like its uncommon 

Message 7 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I used to have a chase freedom with a $200 limit. This is why I closed the account back in 2008
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 16
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

I say don't worry about it much. It happened to me and it did not stop me from getting prime cards. In fact the card that I went over the limit on recently got a CLI so it really don't matter with teh new CL showing.

Message 9 of 16
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You should be fine! Some CCCs will approve an over the limit charge if you've had a good payment history and good account standing...I went over the limit with one of my cards a LONNG time ago b/c I did the same thing you did but I paid it off and didn't get charged a fee.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.