cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went on an app spree. What to do now?

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Went on an app spree. What to do now?

@Anonymous wrote:

a fidelity Amex. You mean doing loads to serve for bill pay from a credit card? Yeah, I still have my capital one QS on there that yields 1.5% but I try to keep that to a minimum. They wont even let new folks do what I do, loading from a non Amex. But you have to be really careful. Do you have your cash advance limit set to 0?

I did not monkey with my cash advance limit on the Fidelity Amex because that often results in unnecessary transaction declines.  I knew ahead of time it would not post as a cash advance.  Unfortunately you cannot use your QS to do a credit card load; it has to be an Amex.  And "real" (Centurian) Amex cards will not give you points on these transactions... it has to be an Amex network card issued by a 3rd party.  So Fidelity Amex is the best one to use for cash back.

@Anonymous wrote:

So you pay your credit card bills that earn points, with a prepaid amex serve card via check/wire, that is funded from a card that gave you more points. How do you pay that Fideltiy AMEX lol. 

Precisely. But it would be rather slimy to turn right around and pay the Fidelity Amex with Serve so I usually pay other things with Serve instead.

You mentioned the $1k load limit and having to add AUs to get around that.  (All for rewardless debit usage?)  After you hit your $1k CC load limit for the month you can just take your debit card to any Walmart and load a further $1k per day up to $5k in a month.  Debit cards only on these though.  Tell them you want to load a Bluebird because they usually are clueless about Serve.  Customer service will do the Bluebird load with no issues.  You can also do it from any regular register but the cashiers that work those usually don't handle such things so they may not know how.  Tell them to punch in 70 Action Code.  The Maytag-bored-looking guy that sits and oversees the self checkouts all day can even do this for you.  Handy for when customer service is closed.

Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think people are misinterpreting my posts in the worst way possible. 

Yes, I carry a balance on one card.  It's not the end of the world.  It's my lowest interest rate card.  It would be nice to have no debt, I agree.  I'm working towards that.

No, I'm not talking about spending money just because I have credit available.  I have been talking about strategizing my existing spending (within my budget).

---

Interesting about the amex serve.  I'm going to have to do some math on that one.

Message 32 of 34
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

a fidelity Amex. You mean doing loads to serve for bill pay from a credit card? Yeah, I still have my capital one QS on there that yields 1.5% but I try to keep that to a minimum. They wont even let new folks do what I do, loading from a non Amex. But you have to be really careful. Do you have your cash advance limit set to 0?

I did not monkey with my cash advance limit on the Fidelity Amex because that often results in unnecessary transaction declines.  I knew ahead of time it would not post as a cash advance.  Unfortunately you cannot use your QS to do a credit card load; it has to be an Amex.  And "real" (Centurian) Amex cards will not give you points on these transactions... it has to be an Amex network card issued by a 3rd party.  So Fidelity Amex is the best one to use for cash back.

@Anonymous wrote:

So you pay your credit card bills that earn points, with a prepaid amex serve card via check/wire, that is funded from a card that gave you more points. How do you pay that Fideltiy AMEX lol. 

Precisely. But it would be rather slimy to turn right around and pay the Fidelity Amex with Serve so I usually pay other things with Serve instead.

You mentioned the $1k load limit and having to add AUs to get around that.  (All for rewardless debit usage?)  After you hit your $1k CC load limit for the month you can just take your debit card to any Walmart and load a further $1k per day up to $5k in a month.  Debit cards only on these though.  Tell them you want to load a Bluebird because they usually are clueless about Serve.  Customer service will do the Bluebird load with no issues.  You can also do it from any regular register but the cashiers that work those usually don't handle such things so they may not know how.  Tell them to punch in 70 Action Code.  The Maytag-bored-looking guy that sits and oversees the self checkouts all day can even do this for you.  Handy for when customer service is closed.

Okey, dokey.  Too much info here.  Do stop.

Signature needs updating
Message 33 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Do stop.

I agree.   This is how Knowledge becomes old news.

As far as managing credit cards....autopay is where it's at.

I would be in serious trouble if I didn't have autopay....forget about managing your credit cards.  Set up autopay of $25 for credit cards you know you use every month.  Make sure that covers the minimum payment ($25 usually does for <$1000 balances).

With autopay, at least your minimum payment is always covered.  From there, manually review your accounts monthly and pay the extra amounts.  If you foget to check; all is not lost because the minimum has been paid. 

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.