Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to Cancel Credit One... But

tag
indecison
Regular Contributor

Went to Cancel Credit One... But

First of all thanks to this board and its members I have learned a ton about credit and such. I had a bablance on my rebuilder card from Credit One with a 1K limit. I paid the account off and decided to call today to see if they would waive the annual fee that they bill monthly. They said they would not be able to do that so I asked them to close the account. After asking this they suddenly were able to waive the fee for 6 months. I decided to go ahead and leave it open for now. Do you think I should just leave it for the six months or just close it? I was thinking it would be better to just leave it for now since it is not costing me for now.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Re: Went to Cancel Credit One... But

Leave it open and try to do the same thing in 6 months Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 2 of 7
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Well that was nice of them wasn't it haha.

I'd close it before the 6 months ends.

If you were going to close it today, then you will want to close it later.  

Obviously you don't need them anymore and the TL will still keep adding to your AAoA for 10 years.

Message 3 of 7
codimom
Frequent Contributor

^^ this.  hold it for 3 months, don't use it, then close it. 

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 4 of 7
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

I say go for the free 6 months and then tell goodbye

Message 5 of 7
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Close it couple of months before applying.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 7
indecison
Regular Contributor

I think I will just hold it for a few months. Thanks for the replies! Im just glad to be out of the crap card land that I was in! I was really surprised they actually waived the fee to be honest.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.