Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were to go from here?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were to go from here?

Ok, after a spell of constant increase in my credit profile, I'm in the garden for a while. While I'm here, I'm wondering what card to get next, if any. I'm thinking I will after I go for the AMEX 3X in the middle of Feb. There are probably more reasons to not get another card, but just for fun, I'm curious what the next step would be. As of now, this is what I have:

1. AMEX Everday- $8500 (most recent and darn proud I got this one)

2. Discover IT- $6000

3. Overstock Visa- $1700

4. Chase Freedom- $6500

5. PayPal Credit $2100

6. Amazon Visa- $500 (amazing there's been no auto-luv with this one) 

7. Amazon Store- $1700

8. Banana Republic Store card- $1700

9. Jcrew Store Card- $5400

10 Cap One Secured $750 (This is the one that started the comeback. It's amazing how well it worked for me)

My utilization is under 7% total.

Besides staying in the garden, what would be the next step up? I think I want just one more, but not sure what, or what I would qualify for. The better part of me says nothing while I us and pay for at least a year and then revisit the idea. 

Just a thought......

Boring day at work. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Re: Were to go from here?

Think about your spending profile and what you spend the most $ on. Then find a card that offers rewards for those categories. 

I see that you don't have a solid gas/grocery card. So I would recommend the Barclay SallieMae Mastercard for its 5% Cash Back on gas, groceries, and bookstores/Amazon purchases. For gas/groceries, it's up to $250/month and for Amazon it's $750/month. 

SM is just such a solid card that I would recommend everyone carry. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you looking for in a new card.  Travel, cash back or something else?  Offhand, I'd think some of the cards that you would like/benefit from would be the CSP, Salle Mae or maybe Citi's Double Cash card.

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

For groceries/gas, which most people spend plenty on, either Sallie Mae or Blue Cash Everyday  unless you are spending a ton which would mean you could justify the Blue Cash Preferred.

Sallie's caps are 250/month for groceries and gas, and the redemption is really only statement credits. With BCE/BCP you can get gift cards and such too. If you don't care about that, the Sallie Mae has a higher return than BCE for no annual fee.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, thanks for the blazing fast replies.

I didn't even consider what I wanted as far as benefit, besides having more credit Smiley Wink I would say travel, however.

Thanks for that. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, thanks for the blazing fast replies.

I didn't even consider what I wanted as far as benefit, besides having more credit Smiley Wink I would say travel, however.

Thanks for that. 

Then definitely either the CSP or another AMEX that earns MR points.  I'd suggest you take a look at each programs hotel/airline partners to see those that you do or might use.  Here's a post that discusses travel credit cards in great detail

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guide-to-travel-cards/m-p/2918668/highlight/true#M828524

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome. Thanks so much.

I continue to be floored by the level of support on this forum. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome. Thanks so much.

I continue to be floored by the level of support on this forum. 

Anytime.  You're right, there are a lot of helpful people on this forum.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.