Did you mean: 

What AMEX Card to Apply For?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: What AMEX Card to Apply For?

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

I need to get approved for a new AMEX card if I want my 1997 member since date to ever appear on my credit reports.  What card should I apply for?  I do not won't an AF card. I already have the AMEX Blue Everyday.   Thanks!

Can they do it on your Blue everyday?

Since the card have already been reported to the CRAs they cannot/won't change the date with them.  The member since date have to be reported when they first report the new account to the CRAs.  That is why I'm having to apply for a new card if I ever want my 1997 date to appear on my credit reports. 

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey DI, sorry if I missed the answer to this question in another post.

But why did AmEx not report your Blue as opened in 97? I've read many many posts that when it says "Member Since 97" in your Account Summary online and if it says Member Since 97 on your CC it WILL be reported that way to the CRA's.

I love AmEx for backdating my Blue Cash to 91, but it seems as of late AmEx's left hand has no idea what it's right hand is doing!!!

I got the Blue 3/28/11, apped for the Blue Cash Preferred and was approved 4/29/11 and then told the next day I was not approved because I have to wait 90 days before apping for another type of Blue Card, during that same call I was told I could apply for any other type of AmEx, just not a Blue.

So I apped for the Clear, was not instant approved or declined, called the next day and was told it was under review, I believe it took like 10 days for them to send me the Email.....declined, reasons were because I had a CO on my reports and my EX score was too low, and acct too new.

The following week the CO was finally removed from my CR's per HSBC's instructions to the CRA's, so I called AmEx and they told me to fax them copies of all three current credit reports (I did that the next day) 13th of March and was told the Media Dept was backed up and it would take about 2 weeks to review my reports and give me an answer......fast forward to June 15th, I call in and finally get an answer...declined, reasons....the same as the first time, CO, EX score too low yadda yadda.

I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????? I just sent you my current reports that show I have a PERFECT credit report and VERY high scores, I demanded to speak with a Manager who kept on going on and on about how my reports still show negatives, I was relentless with him until he finally said, OK sir, the reason you were declined was not because of your reports or scores, the reason was because your Blue acct is too new, we want to have a little more time with you as a customer before we approve you for another AmEx CC.

Why not just tell me that in the first place? Why tell me I have a bad credit report and scores?

I am 100% OK with them declining me for a second card because I'm too new to AmEx, but to lie about it, not good business practice IMO.

Sooooo sorry DI for getting off track there Bro, just needed to vent I guess.

How long have you had your Blue? If its been under 90 days I'd wait because you may go thru what I went thru, 45 days of wondering, will today be the day???

I personally want the Blue Cash Preferred, also thinking about the Gold Charge (they both have AF's) not what you want, I know.

How about the Clear?

I wish you the Best of Luck Bro!!

Message 12 of 23
smc733
Valued Contributor

Just as a note, mustanglvr, if they deny you on a recon, sometimes their denial letter will be the same (date and all), as when they originally declined you, even if the actual reasons are updated.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 13 of 23
Amnesia87
Contributor

I'm fairly certain that you can still backdate a card even after it's reported.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smc733 wrote:

Just as a note, mustanglvr, if they deny you on a recon, sometimes their denial letter will be the same (date and all), as when they originally declined you, even if the actual reasons are updated.

I did not know that, thank you for that info, I never actually received a letter from the second denial, I was given that info by a "New Accts" rep, but she was reading the letter to me.

I just wish they would have looked at their records first and they would have seen I was "New" with AmEx (under 90 days) to begin with and told me before I apped for the Clear that I would not be approved because I am a new customer and need at least 90 days with them to build a relationship and for them to see I can pay my CC on time and all.

The one good thing about all of this was when I apped for the Blue Cash Preferred and was approved and the next day told I can't be approved, the New Accts rep told me he was canceling that app and would send a suppression to EX to have that hard pull removed from my EX report (which it was) they only softed me for the Clear app, so at least I do not have but only 1 hard inq from 3/28/11 when I apped and was approved for the Blue Cash.

So all in all, inq wise, its like I only apped for one AmEx CC, at least from an inq standpoint on my EX report.

Message 15 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey DI, sorry if I missed the answer to this question in another post.

But why did AmEx not report your Blue as opened in 97? I've read many many posts that when it says "Member Since 97" in your Account Summary online and if it says Member Since 97 on your CC it WILL be reported that way to the CRA's.

Mustanglvr2006,

My Blue card  cannot be reported the CRAs with the 1997 member since date, because the account has already been reporting with the 2009 opening date.  Had I contacted AMEX about correcting  my member since date before apping for the Blue in 2009, it would have reported 1997 from the beginning.

Once AMEX report an account to the CRAs they won't change the member since date on the reports.  I guess it would be considered  unethical.   They only change it online and on the card.  I will have to apply for a new card  to get the 1997 member since date reported.  I'm trying to be very patient to see what happens with Target card before apping with AMEX.

Message 16 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

If I report my AMEX card lost/stolen, will it prompt AMEX to create and report a new account and tradeline to the CRAs?  That may be a way to get my 1997 date reported without applying for a 2nd card.  Just a thought.

Message 17 of 23
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I think you need to try back and speak with another agent. I read all the backdating threads I can find on a variety of forums and I've never heard of this. Most people get their account backdated and a new card shipped to them.

And when I say most people, I mean every single person who has ever posted a backdating story except for you

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

I think you need to try back and speak with another agent. I read all the backdating threads I can find on a variety of forums and I've never heard of this. Most people get their account backdated and a new card shipped to them.

And when I say most people, I mean every single person who has ever posted a backdating story except for you

I got the account backdated and received a new card..  The problem is,  I was told the 1997 member since date cannot be reported to the CRAs. 

Message 19 of 23
DI
Super Contributor

Can someone who ever reported their AMEX card lost/stolen answer my question please? 

If I report my AMEX card lost/stolen, will it prompt AMEX to create and report a new account and tradeline to the CRAs?  That may be a way to get my 1997 date reported without applying for a 2nd card.  Just a thought.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.