Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What APR should I expect on a credit card with a 801 Score!? Help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What APR should I expect on a credit card with a 801 Score!? Help please

I have a really high interest credit card that I've had for years. What is my best options for lowering my rate? I have a FICO score of 802. What is a reasonable rate for a score of 802?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: What APR should I expect on a credit card with a 801 Score!? Help please

Calling them usually results in a lowering.

If apping for a new card though you should be able to get a 0% intro and the lowest APR listed in most cases.  If it's a CU you're golden for the lowest APR.... Banks still like to tag you with a low-medium APR though just because they feel you need them more than they need you.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome.

There is really no easy answer to that question. Generally with new accounts one would expect the lowest APR in the range for a particular product...but that's not always the case. Other things in your profile will effect the APR offered.

As far as lowering the APR on existing accts that's a little different. Some banks all you have to do is ask and are easy to work with. Others no amount of fighting or begging will get you anywhere.

Provide a little more info about your credit history and the specific banks you are concerned with and others will be able to offer better advice.
Message 3 of 5
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Recommended cards/credit unions, for low APRs (ETA:  also anyone can apply to these CUs, AFAIK):

1.  Bournes Employees FCU:  as low as 4.99% F, has a rewards program available as well.

2.  Unify FCU:  choice of two low-APR card offerings -- as low as 5.24% V or 8.99% F.  (Please note that you need a FICO Score 2 of at least 740-750, to qualify for the lowest rates; also the 8.99% F card requires a minimum SL of $15k.)

3.  Premier America CU:  as low as 7.50% F, with 1.4% - 1.5% rewards program. 

ETA:  in the past I would have recommended the Barclay Ring as well, but Barclay recently ratejacked the card from 8.50% V to 13%+ V, for new card applicants...

Message 4 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have a really high interest credit card that I've had for years. What is my best options for lowering my rate? I have a FICO score of 802. What is a reasonable rate for a score of 802?

Two points, #1 with an 802 FICO score you should be able to take advantage of 1 or 2 zero  percent 12-15-18 month new cards every couple of years, there are tons of choices and using these for your "carried balances" your interest rate is 00%. #2 best course of action is to always pay in full every month which nets a 0% APR. If your trend is to carry a balance you might also consider Blispay which offers 6 months no interest, 2% cash back and no payments for 6 months on purchases over $199 - just be careful to PIF within the terms on this card because nonpayment causes retroactive interest at 19.99%.   

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.