Not applicable

What Are The Benefits Of Freezing Your CR

?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Freezing Your CR

If you have been or are a victim of identity theft, no one, including yourself, can open up credit in your name while your reports are frozen.  If you have police report, this service should not cost anything. Otherwise, nominal fee of about $10 per bureau to freeze/unfreeze.

I also believe that if one has collectors after them, hard inquiries cannot be made.  However, I  don't know this for sure this is true.

IMO, freezing is the ultimate block to preventing any further fraudulent accounts/address changes from hitting your report.

Different from an FA, which I think is temporary and must be renewed every 90 days (I could be wrong about the renwal).  Also, I applied for credit with just an FA and my identity from one particular creditor was NOT confirmed. This creditor did not call me like they should have. So you see, I've come to the conclusion that some creditors slip through the FA cracks while no creditors slip through the freeze.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
ncks
Valued Member

Re: What Are The Benefits Of Freezing Your CR

The fee is based upon which state you live in because I only pay $3.  You can also place a temp lift for certain companies to view your file and tu will give you a code that you can give the company to allow them to look at your credit file.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.