cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What BOA unsecured denial app gets you the 99/500 deal?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

What BOA unsecured denial app gets you the 99/500 deal?

As some of you know if you apply for a BOA unsecured card and get denied, there is a chance BOA might counter with a fully secured card or if your credit is good enough, with the 99/500 deal where you put $99 as a security deposit and get a $500 CL.

So I was under the impression that you could apply for any unsecured CC to possibly get this counter offer. However, I was reviewing some old threads and it seems the consensus at that time (threads are from 2009) was that you had to apply specifically for the BOA "Platinum Plus Visa". I looked at BOA's website and there is no such product. I'm quite sure the 99/500 deal is still being offered by BOA as users have reported in this forum as of this year.

Anyone get the 99/500 offer recently? What unsecured CC did you apply for?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What BOA unsecured denial app gets you the 99/500 deal?

@money_talks wrote:

As some of you know if you apply for a BOA unsecured card and get denied, there is a chance BOA might counter with a fully secured card or if your credit is good enough, with the 99/500 deal where you put $99 as a security deposit and get a $500 CL.

So I was under the impression that you could apply for any unsecured CC to possibly get this counter offer. However, I was reviewing some old threads and it seems the consensus at that time (threads are from 2009) was that you had to apply specifically for the BOA "Platinum Plus Visa". I looked at BOA's website and there is no such product. I'm quite sure the 99/500 deal is still being offered by BOA as users have reported in this forum as of this year.

Anyone get the 99/500 offer recently? What unsecured CC did you apply for?

The offer, if applicable, is not set by a specific product.  BOA will make the elegibility/determination if you are not approved by any of their standard unsecured products, whether it be the Cash Rewards, Balance Rewards or Travel Rewards CCs, etc.  However, not every individual will qualify for the offer so there is no specific method to determine whether you will receive the offer or not.

The only method to know for sure is when you apply, and if your application is not approved.  Otherwise, you could always apply for their standard secured product.

Message 2 of 5
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the information. I just read through some more recent threads posted this year and members reported apping for the 123 cash rewards card, getting denied, and getting the 99/500 offer.

Message 3 of 5
ptilda
Established Contributor

Don't know if this helps, but I just applied for the Bank of America Platinum Plus Visa on 12/2/13 and was NOT offered the deal. At that point, I had a few inquiries (I did this first app spree backward, since I hadn't found this site at the time); about FICO 652; 3 baddies EQ, 2 on the other 2; 1 late pmt; no 60+ lates; no ccs reporting yet, etc. I might recon just to see if they offer the 99/500 deal since I was looking at a BOA card anyhow for a future spree.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 4 of 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ptilda wrote:

Don't know if this helps, but I just applied for the Bank of America Platinum Plus Visa on 12/2/13 and was NOT offered the deal. At that point, I had a few inquiries (I did this first app spree backward, since I hadn't found this site at the time); about FICO 652; 3 baddies EQ, 2 on the other 2; 1 late pmt; no 60+ lates; no ccs reporting yet, etc. I might recon just to see if they offer the 99/500 deal since I was looking at a BOA card anyhow for a future spree.

IIRC, the 99/500 product is not available as part of the reconsideration process.  It's either offered as an alternative (based on a denied app elegibility) or not.  More than likely they may recommend you apply for their standard secured CC.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.