cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CC is good for rebuilding? Any suggestions?

tag
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

What CC is good for rebuilding? Any suggestions?

Hello All!

I am trying to apply for a CC to rebuild my credit. I was wondering, what would be a good CC to apply?

Right now, I have 4 baddies, 2 of which are scheduled to be removed on September and December 2010; the remaining 2 are scheduled to be removed on January and April 2011.

Is it good to apply through Cap One or a secured CC from a bank. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Officially a Homeowner 6/1/12

Jun' 2012 EX 737 (thru lender) ; Mar '12 EQ 746; July '12 TU 773

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What CC is good for rebuilding? Any suggestions?

Orchard

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with credit unions, they offer better rates and will work with you! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Are the baddies being removed because of age?

Do you have any current  CC.

Message 4 of 28
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I would wait until 4/2011 and all the negatives are gone before I would apply anywhere. Have a clean record when you apply.

Just my 2 cents.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 5 of 28
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Yes, it will be removed due to age.

My active accounts are:

2 store CC (Macys, JCPenney) - no lates

1 AU (Chase) account thru my DH - no lates

1 car loan until next year. Aug 2010.

1 paid off car loan

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 6 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Any credit card that you can get and use regularly is good for rebuilding.     You don't have any major cards ( Visa, MC, Discover, AMEX), so I suggest you add 1 (maybe 2) now and then wait until all negatives are gone from report, before adding more.   Your negatives are very old, so they should not hurt too much, so you probably have more options than you think.

Capital one and HSBC are generally easy to qualify for, and they have prequalification without committment.   If you get offered secured card, you should consider it and try to put down more than minimum.

You should also consider applying for a card where you have checking or savings, or a credit union.

Another option is to get another store card that you would use on a regular basis.

Waiting until your credit goes clean next year is not a bad idea either, but your profile is thin and IMO you should be building some new trade lines now.

Message 7 of 28
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Oh great! Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind.

Will apply for 2 cards.. HSBC and/or Cap One.. Hopefully, they approve me.. Do i go to the "secured CC" route or apply directly for a classic card?

Also, is Orchard CC good as well?

Message 8 of 28
happy0510
Established Contributor

Orchard has helped me rebuild very nicely.  A+++ in my book!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

For HSBC, you go through the prequalification online and it will tell you the best card that you qualify for.  Orchard is owned by HSBC, so they are almost the same, so take your pick.  I chose HSBC since they have prime and subprime cards, Orchard is subprime only.

I think prequalification is the same for Capital One, although I have not tried it. 

If you add 2 major cards, your credit profile should look pretty good when the negative go away.  Good luck.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.