Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What CC to apply for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What CC to apply for

My college student child wants to apply for a credit card... how do we know which one to apply for?  Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What CC to apply for

Has s/he ever had credit before?

Many card companies have student cards that are meant for those with little or no credit history.

Another good alternative is to find a local credit union, or possibly the bank where s/he has been banking.

Those with no credit (as opposed to recovering from bad credit) should not fool with rebuilder cards like First Premier and their ilk.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Have you pulled her credit reports yet? Never apply for credit without knowing exactly what is reporting!! You can obtain free credit reports from all three CRB's once a year here:

www.annualcreditreport.com

Do not pay for the scores when you order the reports. They are worthless FAKOs! I would not worry about the scores at this point as long as the reports are clean.

If the reports are clean I would app for Discover More or Discover Open Road or a Citi card (mtvU comes to mind). These are very good issuers and the cards will grow with her. I would also find the best possible local credit union, join, and start building a relationship. This will come in handy later. Do this last as joining a CU will most likely result in a hard INQ.

If the CBR's are not clean - clean 'em up before doing any app'ing. This is vitally important. She needs clean reports a lot more than she needs a CC.

If you want to give her an instant credit history you could do the following: make her an AU on one of your oldest CC's and then not give her the card. This way you can do something for her w/o risking your credit. Giving her the AU card to use risks your credit and you would have to be prepared to pay for any charges she might make.

HTSU - Great minds do think alike. Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by jmbfl on 01-01-2009 02:05 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try CapitalOne or Chase freedom..............that was my first credit card. i got immediatelly i turned 18yrs. I'm now 19yrs. EXP=706 EQ=619 TRA=642
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards specifically for Students can be easier to get with no credit history (if you are actually a student, of course!). 

Two I got that have specifically great rewards programs (so that you can earn a little cash back for purchases you'd make anyway, while building credit history at the same time):

Discover Open Road card for Students

-- 5% cash back on up to $100 gas purchases a month

-- 0.25% - 1% cash back for all other purchases

Citi mtvU card for College Students

-- 5 thank you points per dollar for purchases at Restaurants/Fast Food, Bookstores (including all Amazon.com purchases!), Movie Theatres/Video Rental, and Record Stores

-- 1 thank you point per dollar for other purchases

-- also earn points for good grades and for paying on time each month

(the Thank You points seem to be redeemable for equivalent 3-5% cash back)

Message 5 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Citi is a good place for a student to start. I put my youngest on my BofA card last week and received an offer in the mail for her from AmEx for their Gold card. Imagine that. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.