Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Card? Need advice!!

tag
Tg123
Regular Contributor

What Card? Need advice!!

Hi everyone, 

I have been using advice from these forums for the past year to build my credit. I am currently a student and have successfully established credit. I started out with a citi mtvU card and have since pc'ed to a Forward card in Feb which has a $800 cl. I am also an AU on a AMEX TrueEarnings Card with an 8000 cl and an AU on a BofA platinum visa with a $18,000 cl. My AAoA is 39 months. My typical util is around 7-11% and I always pay my card off in full at the end of each month. I am really looking for a travel rewards card, but I know that I am still early in the building process. I would really appreciate some suggestions, but only constructive. Thanks so much!

Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: What Card? Need advice!!

@Tg123 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I have been using advice from these forums for the past year to build my credit. I am currently a student and have successfully established credit. I started out with a citi mtvU card and have since pc'ed to a Forward card in Feb which has a $800 cl. I am also an AU on a AMEX TrueEarnings Card with an 8000 cl and an AU on a BofA platinum visa with a $18,000 cl. My AAoA is 39 months. My typical util is around 7-11% and I always pay my card off in full at the end of each month. I am really looking for a travel rewards card, but I know that I am still early in the building process. I would really appreciate some suggestions, but only constructive. Thanks so much!

How much traveling are you expecting to do ?  The AMEX PR Gold is great for air travel, if you want to accrue MR Points.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
Tg123
Regular Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Tg123 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

How much traveling are you expecting to do ?  The AMEX PR Gold is great for air travel, if you want to accrue MR Points.

I am planning on flying this summer to california, and about every 2 months. They are about $400 tickets so I figure I should get something to help with the cost. Do you think that I have a reasonable approval chance for the AMEX PR Gold?

Message 3 of 9
Tg123
Regular Contributor

I would also like to try and keep the annual fee to zero or under $100

Message 4 of 9
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Amex PR Gold will only be worth it to you if you are spending heavily on the bonus categories, otherwise it will be hard to justify the 175.00 annual fee.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@espnjunkie wrote:

Amex PR Gold will only be worth it to you if you are spending heavily on the bonus categories, otherwise it will be hard to justify the 175.00 annual fee.

I agree it might be difficult to recoup the AF, but many of the AMEX charge cards ( including PR gold ) offer a waived AF for the first year, so you could essentially try it out for free, and if it doesn't meet your needs at the end of year you can PC to a lower fee card or just close it out.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

If you tend to fly a particular airline(Citi AA card is particularly good) take a look at if their card is decent.  Also take a look at Chase Sapphire for a general travel card.  Amex Blue Sky and Delta are also decent options.

Message 7 of 9
Tg123
Regular Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

If you tend to fly a particular airline(Citi AA card is particularly good) take a look at if their card is decent.  Also take a look at Chase Sapphire for a general travel card.  Amex Blue Sky and Delta are also decent options.

Do you think I have a reasonable chance for approval for the CS and the Citi Advantage cards? What would your advice be if I wanted to app for 2 cards at the same time? Maybe the zync and one of the travel cards? 

Message 8 of 9
Tg123
Regular Contributor

bump

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.