Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Card Should I Apply For?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What Card Should I Apply For?

So far I'm seeing I should try Discover and CITI thank you premier, correct?
Message 21 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What about citi double cash or discover IT?

Double Cash would not fit any of the things you said you wanted in a card.  It's a 2% cash back card.

Discover it I addressed earlier on this page.

+1 on Simplicity.  Other than balance transfers, it would be useless and with your Experian score I don't think you'd be able to transfer much to be honest.  If you are looking for a Citi card for balance transfers, go with the Diamond Preferred.

The DC fits the balance transfer requirement, as it's typically for 18 months at 0%. 

The DC is the second best card Citi offers, even better than the TY Premier. 2% back + 0% for 18 months is an awesome deal. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that the Diamond Preferred is any better than the Simplicity? 

Diamond Preferred is preferable (for lack of a better word) to Simplicity for the simple (see what I did there?) reason that once a Simplicity always a Simplicity, whereas Diamond Preferred can always be product changed to something that better fits the cardholder's needs later, like a Double Cash.  The same applicant will also usually see a 1% lower APR on DP vs Simplicity.  If approved, I would still be very surprised to see a starting line on any of the Citi issued cards large enough to be useful for a balance transfer.

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What about citi double cash or discover IT?

Double Cash would not fit any of the things you said you wanted in a card.  It's a 2% cash back card.

Discover it I addressed earlier on this page.

+1 on Simplicity.  Other than balance transfers, it would be useless and with your Experian score I don't think you'd be able to transfer much to be honest.  If you are looking for a Citi card for balance transfers, go with the Diamond Preferred.

The DC fits the balance transfer requirement, as it's typically for 18 months at 0%. 

The DC is the second best card Citi offers, even better than the TY Premier. 2% back + 0% for 18 months is an awesome deal. 

I'm not sure where you're getting that the Diamond Preferred is any better than the Simplicity? 

Diamond Preferred is preferable (for lack of a better word) to Simplicity for the simple (see what I did there?) reason that once a Simplicity always a Simplicity, whereas Diamond Preferred can always be product changed to something that better fits the cardholder's needs later, like a Double Cash.  The same applicant will also usually see a 1% lower APR on DP vs Simplicity.  If approved, I would still be very surprised to see a starting line on any of the Citi issued cards large enough to be useful for a balance transfer.

I guess I was speaking from the prespective of someone who has four Citi cards, and sees the Simplicity's no late fee, no penatly APR as something useful for carrying a balance, so product changing the Simplicity really isn't that big of a deal to me.

Why not just apply for the Double Cash insted of the DP then? Three extra months at 0% isn't a big deal.  

I've been approved for multiple Citi cards this year with $6,500, $4,600, $5,600, etc. I think those are fine for someone with minor credit card debt, especialy when all three could be a balance transfer card (they're not). 

Edit to add: Retention offers through Citi and random APR offers at 0% are also frequent (from my experience). Only one of my four Citi cards has an APR right now, the other is in the 21 month balance transfer period, and the other two have 0% on balance transfers and purchases for the next eight months. 

Message 23 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I was speaking from the prespective of someone who has four Citi cards, and sees the Simplicity's no late fee, no penatly APR as something useful for carrying a balance, so product changing the Simplicity really isn't that big of a deal to me.

I hadn't even thought of that difference.  I could see that as potentially useful.  I think Discover it has that as well; it's just one of those features that I skim past since it would (hopefully) never apply to me.  I watch my due dates (probably a little too closely) and have never been late (even once).  I do know mistakes can happen; guess I've just been very fortunate in that department for a few decades.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.