cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Cards Give Higher Credit Lines?

tag
SoonerMagic1
Established Member

Re: What Cards Give Higher Credit Lines?

I recently got a $15k CL from Discover wtih a 667 Ex FICO.  Seems like mine was something of an anomoly though based on other reports.  I applied after receiving an "invitation to apply" mailing with an invitation code I entered online ... maybe that made a difference?  Good luck!

Message 11 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

If you have experience with 5k credit lines, Chase co-branded cards (CSP and Marriott) give pretty decent starting limits. I got 15.7k on CSP, and a Freedom with a 8k limit in June 2013, and a 15.1 k limit on Marriott just this past May.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 12 of 15
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

emptypockets: this comment caught my eye "If you have experience with 5k credit lines..."

From your experience, is $5K considered the baseline for decent starting CL? I'm trying to get a gauge on this.

Message 13 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

emptypockets: this comment caught my eye "If you have experience with 5k credit lines..."

From your experience, is $5K considered the baseline for decent starting CL? I'm trying to get a gauge on this.

I think that 5k seems to be the baseline that creditors need to see on your existing lines of credit before they give you higher lines. Not to mention that (in general) a 5k limit is necessary to get a Visa Signature (CSP, Marriott) or a World MC. Higher credit limits beget higher limits,, in general you are not going to get a 10-20k credit limit with a report that shows credit limits of 1-2k.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 14 of 15
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Awesome insight. Thank you! This just "connected the dots" for me.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.